2 Kegs Filled From 60l Fermenter By Gas Pressure - Works Perfectly

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I started a thread a few months ago but I can't find it again.

I bought a new fermenting fridge and a 60L fermenter. I'm prone to back problems and whilst I can lift an ordinary fermo onto the counter and fill kegs / bottles / transfer to cube etc the 60L is the biggest heaviest mofo you have ever seen when you get up close to one. So I had a think about transferring the wort at ground level without using a pump / lifting gear / warlock spells etc and with the help of Ross on the phone I did the following system. The only extras I had to buy were a little wooden plant trolley on castors, about $10 from the hardware, and a John Guest Bulkhead fitting which I fitted through the fermenter lid. The method consists of basically turning the fermenter into a sort of giant corny keg for 20 minutes.

• Double batch BIAB with the 2 urns to fill 2 cubes -> one 60L fermenter (ended up with around 50L but the fermenter actually holds more like 70)
  • Slide the ferm into the fridge, ground level (it's a Kegmate so right down on the ground)
  • Ferment at desired temp in the fridge - under clingwrap.
  • Dial it down to -1 for a cold condition, up to 3 weeks.
on Kegging day:

• Slide ferm out of fridge onto the plant trolley which luckily is exactly the right height
  • Wheel to other end of brewery where the gas kegerator sits
  • Remove the clingwrap and fit the lid
  • Insert my "naked" gas line, with shutoff tap, down into JG fitting - crank the gas up to maximum.
  • fit a sanitised transfer hose to the fermenter tap which should have the nozzle sticking out sideways.
  • Get everything nicely arranged, a couple of buckets and a big roll of towelling etc.
  • And a chair.
  • Turn gas tap on to pressurise the fermenter
  • Using the fermenter tap to control the process, run off a bit through the hose into a bucket to clear the throat.
  • Put transfer hose into keg and whoosh, fills up in a bit less time than gravity
  • Same with second keg.
  • Turn off gas and lift the now light fermenter to counter, keeping transfer hose in place
  • run of 6-10 bottles for bottle conditioning.

It went like a dream, special thanks to Rosscoe who took the time to sit down and go through a couple of alternative plans. No photos unfortunately as my camera is out of charge. The second keg that I ran off was as clear as pub beer as it was the top half of the beer, so I'll gas over the next 2 days and it will be perfect (Yorkshire Gold) :icon_chickcheers:

Wimp should be bottling the full 60L into 375ml stubbies :lol: Now all that stooping would put your back out.

Joking apart bloody good method like your style.

Just leave it to gas up in the fermentor, and dispense from there.

Pretty good idea, I have through about it, but I'm too slack to change.

QldKev

Nice job Bribie.
Should help alot of brewers with back probs , hernias and busted foofa valves.
Daz

I used to fill the 60l fermenter with one no-chill cube, put in fridge, top up with the next no-chill.
After fermenting it was high enough to either completely fill my 40 litre keg or pretty much fill a rheem keg (19l no rubber top/feet) at which stage it was light enough to lift out and position slightly higher to complete the task(s). Just avoid swivelling while lifting.

Your way does sound pretty easy though.

Back