1st Weat Beer Questions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vicelore

Reaction score
Hey guys..

well iv just completed my 1st real extract brew using a full hour boil imersion cooling and controlled fementation temps.

The beer turned out very well. ( a little under carbonated atm ) but tastes awesome.

Sooo im onto my new Extract.

I was hoping to use the same techniques as i did for my last ( a squires amber knock off ) but this time make a Weat beer.

I was hoping along the lines of hogardeen.

My question is is their any diferances from a normal Ale to a weat ?? Same process ?? fement temps ??

Cheers guys.

Hey guys..

well iv just completed my 1st real extract brew using a full hour boil imersion cooling and controlled fementation temps.

The beer turned out very well. ( a little under carbonated atm ) but tastes awesome.

Sooo im onto my new Extract.

I was hoping to use the same techniques as i did for my last ( a squires amber knock off ) but this time make a Weat beer.

My question is is their any diferances from a normal Ale to a weat ?? Same process ?? fement temps ??

Cheers guys.
Country Brewer's Summer wheat wetpak is bloody lovely, however mine got darker as time progressed.
p.s. that photo's taken at 9months.
ho_in_a_gaarden.JPG

Hoegaarden Wit is made with unmalted wheat, barley malt, oats, spices, hops and a special wit yeast. With extracts, you'll have trouble getting the starchy haze unless you partial mash some base malt with cracked wheat or flour. You can then make up the rest with the palest extract you can find. Read up on the bitter orange peel and coriander and bittering hops. Might be easier to start with a Bavarian Weizen. I hear Les's extract recipe turns out quite well.

I have steeped torrefied wheat before just to get that hazyness, 500g will do it. But if you want anything else out of it you'll need a partial with the base malt as PM said.

Back