Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
Just a usless thread but i pitched about 50Ml or 1469 slurry in 54 liters of Mild yesterday.

I left about 5mls in the starter and picthed a fresh wort made from the left overs form the milds mash, boiled down.

The starter already has a thick cake on the bottom, and the brew is going great, with the bottom 2 inches of a 60 liter fermenter coated in yeast!!!

I love the stuff!

:super:

Wyeast........... THIS SHOULD BE A REGULAR YEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ISN'T IT????????????????

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

I can't disagree with you one bit Tony! Top cropped is even more potent though, overnight is plenty for a fresh batch to be going completely beserk, I just don't have any decent photos as evidence... It is such a simple process too. :beerbang:
I always keep a few mls of starter dregs and grow it out for a next generation spare, only occasionally do I really need it though as I usually just top crop it and the starter goes in the fridge. I was lucky enough to receive some slants from a generous fellow brewer last winter, I'm still on the very first one (albeit that I just reslanted it).

Dunno what's up over at Wyeast, but Proculture seem to have got the message... :D

This one will be doing the mild, the fresh started starter will go in a Nut brown ale and when i pitch this i will save a touch to grow for the Old Ale i have sitting in a cube.

And i still have one fresh vial in the fridge.

Should be able to keep it for many years if treated right.

cheers

That's what I'm hoping, with a bit of forethought and planning I should be able to use it whenever I want, not just whenever Wy feels like it. I use it in the house specialty ale (a 100% base malt, decocted, caramelised wort ESB), so I want it to be around for ever too!

Latest posts

Back