100% Citra Wheat Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
After reading a couple of articles and seeing a 2/3rd bag of wheat still available from a bulk buy for a fun beer I would make a smash - Wheat with Citra :icon_drool2: ( oh yeah and because I have about 250g in vac bags still )

OG - 1.048
IBU - 38

100% Pale Wheat
500g rice hulls

Citra @ 60m - 20ibu
Citra @ 10m - 18ibu
Citra @ Dryhop - 7days after ferment - 1.5g/L

Fermenting with re-hydrated US05 @ 18c

I have used 70% wheat before on belgian witbiers and 50% with hefeweziens but this will be interesting to try. It will be made hop forward with the Sulphate to Chloride ratio at about 5:1

A couple of things Im wondering is should I use a different yeast ? How would you mash a 100% wheat ?

A good move to use the rice hulls.

I would give it a Protein rest at 52 deg c and then mash at 66 and mash out at 77.
i dont know the effect on an alpha rest at 70 but I would imagine that this would be unnecessary with all wheat.

Good luck with the brew and let us know what it comes out like.

Thanks Dicko.

There are a couple of others in the line up for teh next 2-3week and this one will be getting a look in before end of July Id say.

On the BM mash as follows;

20m @ 20C ( Mash in and hydration rest )
20m @ 52C
60m @ 66C
15m @ 77C Mash Out.

Hi Pratty, I forgot you had a BM.

I would be interested to know how the all wheat mash goes in it.

There is a guy here that recons to do a acid rest at 40 with wheat but then he goes on to contradict himself so I didnt get much from what he was saying.

MHB has done a 100% wheat on his 50L BM and I will be asking some questions this week when i call into the shop.

Thanks for the link.

Hi Pratty 1 this is actually one of my house beers . I have 70% wheat 30% pilsener mash at 66*C with a single addition of citra at 60 min yeast is US-05. Its a great drop .In fact the club wants me to enter it as an American wheat in the Vic Brew comp.

beer belly said:
Hi Pratty 1 this is actually one of my house beers . I have 70% wheat 30% pilsener mash at 66*C with a single addition of citra at 60 min yeast is US-05. Its a great drop .In fact the club wants me to enter it as an American wheat in the Vic Brew comp.
Ok cool. Was that 70/30 split on the malts always been like that or have you changed that around to suit your palate?

Yeah always been like that . I like to brew on the extreme side like higher bitterness on the hops and malts such as this recipe to push the limit on the mash without getting a stuck sparge . Rye has been the worst for a stuck mash , as in 70% rye with the other malts making up the rest of the recipe .

2 weeks ago I made a 60% Ale 40% wheat with Galaxy and the wheat adds a real soft malt flavour to the beer. Im hoping that carries through with a 100% wheat.

What Ibu are you bittering too and why no late additions?

I still wanted the balance between the malt and the hops . I bittered to around the 32 ibu mark . I just wanted to get an idea of what the flavour would be like with such a light flavoured malt so I stuck to a single hop addition which I thought might be enough.I am happy with the way it turned out . My other recipe that I did with this was 60% wheat 20% pale and 20% pilsener with 20gm POR @ 60 min 30 gm Citra @ 10 min and 10 gm Citra @ flame out . Jury is still out on this as it is nearing kegging time although the tastings so far are very promising . I decided to up the complexity of this recipe by adding the extra malts and play with the flavours a bit more . The reason for the POR is just for bittering without imparting any other flavours so I could make use of the Citra hop without over balancing the beer . I used the US - 05 because it is a good clean yeast letting the malt and hops shine through .

Latest posts

Back