0 Min Hop Additions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why do people want rules with hop additions when its plain as the nose on your face that anything after a 30 min addition is just the ******* devil's work? Take a guess, look to heaven, dance 3 times anti clockwose around the brew pot without your undies on and have a go - brew a lot and see what works for you.

Its that - or invest a shitload of time effort and self education into learning the absolute minutiae of hop science - and I mean that with an IBD diploma in brewing.... I'm still looking at the science and thinking "fuckit - I'll just give it a crack and see what ends up working" level detail. Its too much. You make your daily bread off it like someone akin to a Matt Bryndilson and sure, make it your thing, amaze the general brewing public with your geeky hop knowledge - otherwise just admit its a black art and get to burning some hemlock.

I'm not saying there isn't more basic stuff to learn - I'm just saying that I dont think it will do you all that much good.

I love hopback additions - so thats zero minutes and basically seconds and no more of contact time
The next guy says add em to the whirlpool - and then immersion chill
The next guy says add em to the whirlpool - and then CF chill
The next guy says you need at least 20mins contact with hot wort....
blah blah - different homebrewing book, different forum, different post, different brewer - different answer
It's just ******* voodoo!

Pick a guru - someone who's beer you've had a few times, someone who made beer who's hop character knocked your socks off - do what they do... they're obviously not ******* it up.

THEN - tweak if you're not happy.

Dont look for "the" answer on hops, there jus isn't one.

TB

Dry hops are usually added post or during fermentation as opposed to before chilling.

I recommend keeping it simple to start so you learn what things do - make it more complicated if you are not happy with the results and want to try out a different idea.

Dry hop - at FG throw some hops in.
0 mins - at flameout or whirlpool, throw some hops in.

In both instances, leave them there unless you are using flowers (bag those).

That's as complicated as it needs to be.

thanks mate.

what i meant was, i mistook the 0 min hop addition for the dry hop addition, so i already added them in and don't need to now. all sweet

Why do people want rules with hop additions when its plain as the nose on your face that anything after a 30 min addition is just the ******* devil's work? Take a guess, look to heaven, dance 3 times anti clockwose around the brew pot without your undies on and have a go - brew a lot and see what works for you.

Its that - or invest a shitload of time effort and self education into learning the absolute minutiae of hop science - and I mean that with an IBD diploma in brewing.... I'm still looking at the science and thinking "fuckit - I'll just give it a crack and see what ends up working" level detail. Its too much. You make your daily bread off it like someone akin to a Matt Bryndilson and sure, make it your thing, amaze the general brewing public with your geeky hop knowledge - otherwise just admit its a black art and get to burning some hemlock.

I'm not saying there isn't more basic stuff to learn - I'm just saying that I dont think it will do you all that much good.

I love hopback additions - so thats zero minutes and basically seconds and no more of contact time
The next guy says add em to the whirlpool - and then immersion chill
The next guy says add em to the whirlpool - and then CF chill
The next guy says you need at least 20mins contact with hot wort....
blah blah - different homebrewing book, different forum, different post, different brewer - different answer
It's just ******* voodoo!

Pick a guru - someone who's beer you've had a few times, someone who made beer who's hop character knocked your socks off - do what they do... they're obviously not ******* it up.

THEN - tweak if you're not happy.

TB

that was the plan. to get ideas and make it my own. i only asked for general ideas so i didn't do something drastically wrong and ruin a batch. i need that as a new brewer. once i know i can go from there on my own and stay away from all the keyboard warriors.

Why do people want rules with hop additions when its plain as the nose on your face that anything after a 30 min addition is just the ******* devil's work?

I'm still looking at the science and thinking "fuckit - I'll just give it a crack and see what ends up working"

just admit its a black art and get to burning some hemlock.

TB

HAHAHAHAHAHA! There's my Christmas Laugh,

True words, thanks Dan

Screwy

The smartest words ever spoken to me in a brewery, were by a now retired Head Brewer. I was stressing about stuff & he said, "Slow down, take a big breath. At the end of the day, It's only piss."
Yes, there is a science to it, but it is a long way from an exact science.

Thirsty Boy said:

TB
Don't pay any attention to the above.. It's clockwise and you can leave your undies on as long as you have taken your socks off

motman said:
Don't pay any attention to the above.. It's clockwise and you can leave your undies on as long as you have taken your socks off
Any babe that looks remotely similar to your avatar can walk around without her undies on and I dont even care if she still has her socks on.

Best advice i have had on hops is to calculate ibu's backwards from latest additions to earliest. Get the flavour / aroma right first and then top up your ibu's with the amount of bittering hops required. Sorry if this is bleeding obvious to most but i was working with too much focus on bittering hops in my early days. Using late hops to deliver more of my ibu's has been a revelation!

I just throw mine into cube at no chill. Any receipe with additions 15 mins to 0 mins. Easy as , beer always turns out great, can't stop mates coming over, my wife's had enough . Lol:)

Mattrox said:
What's wrong with getting the old toys out to play?
Nothing. Some people look like they are replying to the original posters question though and I dare say he has got it figured out by now or given up haha

Back