Yeastcake Gone Gelatinous Like Yogo

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
kegged a double batch of bitter tonight. used s04 and craftbrewers version of s04.

the yeast cake was gelatinous and think yogo like ish. crazy stuff esp whwn i was going to harvest the cake for my next brew. ive harvested about 400ml anyway in case its ok. didnt really geta taste of the beer as it all fitted into the keggs before i got to sample the left over :(. the few drops i did taste seemed ok so i dont think its an infection.

anyone else had similar experiance? the grain bill is in my signature. for squirrelfoot bitter.

When I used an Irish ale liquid yeast the same thing happened, but it looked almost vanilla in colour as well and there wasn't really that much of it.

Weird eh.

When I used S04 it was a sort of normal yeast cake except had little worm holes in it sort of, like at the beach.

I'm thinking about taking photos of all my yeast cakes and making a folder full of them. I'd imagine they must tell a lot about a batch.

it certainly was weird. never had a cake like it. there was barely any white and it was mostly caramel? in colour. just blew me away re consistency. then again i did use 2 differant brands of ale yeasts. maybe they had a war..... wish i had of taken a pic. oh well.

Back