Wyest 2000 Budvar, Any Good?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
Well I want to give a liquid yeast a go again and as I have a load of lagers planned after my July off I was wondering if this Budvar yeast was a good choice for a wide range of lagers? and is there any trick with this one I should know about? is it fast or slow and whats the best pitching and fermenting temps?
This is a short list of the lagers I have coming up.

Classic American Pils
Oktoberfest
Bohemian Pilsner
Schwarzbier
Dortmunder
bock

Steve

This is a great yeast...Pilsners..Lagers....all good.
You will not be disappointed...
Made some great beers with this...
Clear, Clean and crisp...

I always pitch a big starter for a liquid lager yeast..gets going well.Bugger all need for a D/rest.
Id use 2042 for the Dortmunder...thats just me.
The Baverian is a great lager yeast..yet to try it....Next year i hope.

Well I want to give a liquid yeast a go again and as I have a load of lagers planned after my July off I was wondering if this Budvar yeast was a good choice for a wide range of lagers? and is there any trick with this one I should know about? is it fast or slow and whats the best pitching and fermenting temps?
This is a short list of the lagers I have coming up.

Classic American Pils
Oktoberfest
Bohemian Pilsner
Schwarzbier
Dortmunder
bock

Steve
You have a range of different styles ther and one yeast is not going to give you the best results in all styles.My Choices:
Classic American Pils 2035 or 2042 (my preference)
Oktoberfest 2633
Bohemian Pilsner 2124
Schwarzbier 2042
Dortmunder 2042
bock 2206 2308
Having said that the 2000 Budvar is a good yeast suited to your lighter styles Dortmunder CAP and Bohemian Pils and maybe even the Octoberfest but I would look others for your Schwarzbier and defintley for your Bock.What ever you use pitch at the lower end of the scale and keep it low till you raise for a diacetyl rest.
GB

I might give the 2000 a go, or the 2206 its hard to beat.

Steve

the budvar 2000 is an excellent lager yeast so give it a try.

Although I still tend to use the 2124.

Have only ever used one lager yeast and it was the budvar. Bloody long lag time (3 days) but made an awesome Bo pils, a german pils and a knappstein clone.

Will be grabbing another pack soon and with all the good reports on 2206 and 2124 i might grab them too.

Well I caved in and got a 2124. Will be brewing on Saturday. Cant wait.

Steve

One interesting thing about the Budvar is the ability to leave some residual maltiness in the beer by priming, carbonating the right level and crash-cooling the yeast to 3C, which drops the yeast out and stops all yeast action.

Was gonna post a link yesterday, but I could not find the page on the St Pats, Texas site where I read it initially.
From here:
2000 Budvar Lager Yeast: Very malty, low sulfur-producing
yeast from a brewery in the Czech Republic. Flocculates at a
warmer temperature (37 F) than many lager yeasts, which
allows the brewer to more easily leave residual sweetness in the
beer. Apparent attenuation: 67-71%. Flocculation: medium.

Beerz

Looking forward to using this yeast in my next brew.

This will be my first new yeast for a hell of a long time and I am hoping to get a few different "styles" of beer from it.

GB, what makes you think it wouldn't be suited to a Schwarzbier, experience or have you tasted other brewers examples?

C&B
TDA

Back