Utah Votes To Legalise Home Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As an ADF member I, and im sure many other persons on this forum will take offence to that statement.

I am not a murderer.

Ah so he should have said collateral damage - that lovely little term to keep the conscience clean.

If murder is defined as the unlawful killing of another human being, and a military unit goes into a country where they are not adhereing to the laws of the country in which the collateral damage is occuring, then I suppose the term manslaughter would have been more appropriate a term for Trent to have used...........

But i digress - is this about war-crimes or beer-crimes ?

I remember my Dad brewing beer,must have been around 1962,I wasn't ever the mention it to anyone otherwise Dad could end up in jail.

Funny when I think about it now.

Batz

I'll score your comments at 50%.SD. Polygamy is illegal in Utah, apparently its just a little bit rife but the law turns a blind eye providing no underage sex or rape is provable. Re assault rifles .. different answer per Google .. ah, who can we trust but Google ....

Your original post starting this thread says
"It's just interesting to know its legal to own automatic assault rifles in Utah..."

Wheras your last post you're referring to what google says about semi-automatic assault rifles. All automatic firearms are illegal in all 50 states, and have been since sometime in the 1930's. Semi automatics are legal subject to state and local laws.

Getting back to the topic.... if this homebrew law passes, it will cut down in the smuggling of Colorado microbrews into the state.

To correct a few things.

Utah is not the only state to have restrictive home brew laws. I read that Washington brewers are trying to change the law that says you can brew but not take it anyplace. Other states have other laws and some states still have dry counties from what I have heard.

The Federal Government has laws on who can have guns (if you beat your wife/husband, been in jail, or been found to be nuts are a few examples). Each State has laws on the possession of fully automatic firearms. If you live in such a state you file an application and pay a fee to the Feds. They have the right to drop by and inspect you at any time. Other then that as long as the gun is locked up where you say it is or in your possession you can go or do anything you can with any other gun. By the way it is fun if not slightly expensive to fire a full auto gun.

My objection to the term is because words mean things. I also have a problem with the current practice of calling any patch of trees ‘wilderness’. The media is doing this on purpose to justify locking people out of the woods for any activity the tree huggers do not like. Here in the US wilderness is a plot of land that has been set aside from development, has no roads, the use of any vehicle or device with wheel is not allowed, no motorized equipment is allowed, and no structures can be built. It is kind of a stupid policy in some cases as you can travel a well used trail by foot or horse but can not rope a pole to a tree to coral your horse. After walking for hours into the pristine wilderness and bedding down for a quit night it is a bit un-nerving to find out they let airplanes fly over all night and you just happen to be on the side of a mountain and all the noise from the valley below floats up to keep you awake. The use of assault is for similar emotional uses. Unfortunately some in the gun world have taken the bait and use the term.

Back to beer. I wonder how long before we are taxed or stopped for adding to global warming with all the CO2 we produce and use? Our cost on CO2 is very low compared to what you pay. I do pay a hazardous material fee when I get a tank filled.

Oh and I forgot. Utah does have some good Micro's.

....Back to beer. I wonder how long before we are taxed or stopped for adding to global warming with all the CO2 we produce and use? Our cost on CO2 is very low compared to what you pay.

... Oh and I forgot. Utah does have some good Micro's.

Enough said already on polygamy and guns. It was never my intent to go there. This is a beer thread.

Why I raised the point before we went off thread was to say that our homebrew laws are not under threat at this moment, but can be. I was talking the alcopop tax with a client who bemoans the cost of alcopops. She knows I home brew and the subject swung to that topic. Of course we have stills (illegal - well sort off .. but easily accessible .. I have one but have never used it ) and those yeasts that add to a few litres of juice to make an alcoholic brew. What would happen if a marketing campaign to promote these and other easy to make alcoholic drinks came along? We already know it can happen... in fact does happen. What happens if it becomes a fad .. or worse, is deliberately marketed to be used ? I mention also that recently one alcopop new to the market is actually brewed like a beer so comes under beer excise rates rather than distilling excise rates.

The point I make and yes its a little outside the square , but ... what if a new brewing craze comes along that will be legislated against ? Aimed to stop a mass home brewing of alcoholic brews whose principal users will be younger people. What if, to combat this scenario, home brewing laws are introduced restricting our hobby. Limiting supplies. Alcohol levels allowed to be brewed. Making it illegal to transport our homebrew (a la our american brother's Katzke's comments about Washington State laws). We could be collateral damage without the legislation intentionally trying to do it.

Sure, a little out there. But I'm not a conspiracy merchant. I'm an accountant who has seen tax laws introduced for one purpose evolve and catch many situations not envisaged by the original intent. I make the point, simply stay vigilant.

And I hadn't even thought of the CO2 problem ............ :lol:

what if a new brewing craze comes along that will be legislated against ? Aimed to stop a mass home brewing of alcoholic brews whose principal users will be younger people. What if, to combat this scenario, home brewing laws are introduced restricting our hobby. Limiting supplies. Alcohol levels allowed to be brewed. Making it illegal to transport our homebrew (a la our american brother's Katzke's comments about Washington State laws). We could be collateral damage without the legislation intentionally trying to do it.

I dont think that there is much of a risk of young alcopop drinkers turning to home brewing.

After all, these are people who are too lazy/ignorant/stupid to realise that for the price of a carton of alcopops you could buy 2-3 bottles of bundy and 20 litres of coke. There is nothing in that to suggest that these people would have the patience or wherewithal to try home brewing.

That said, dont put anything past the latter-day wowsers who seem to think that our bodies are property of the state.

Latest posts

Back