Using Hops For Insomnia Relief?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its a classic herbal remedy for sleep. In the pillow, also lavender is recommended. +1 for valerian tea. Has soporiphic qualities according to a lot of texts - ie. Helps with sleep. Also supposed tp help aid dreaming.

Old text I have says to put hops or lavender in pillow case to help aid sleep disorders. Remember sleeping at a friend house as a kid, English mother used lavender to calm her hyperactive children. It's a to made me sneeze all night.

I find a good diet, and exercise the perfect combo for a good night sleep. I'll leave the hops for beer.

Rooting works for me.

Try some rooting.

bum said:
Rooting works for me.

Try some rooting.
I didn't specify what type of exercise....

I think the secateurs are for when you want to stop (rooting that is).

Screen Shot 2013-08-09 at 11.58.15 AM.png

431neb said:
I think the secateurs are for when you want to stop (rooting that is).

attachicon.gif
Screen Shot 2013-08-09 at 11.58.15 AM.png
Yates (I think) used to make rooting powder, but apparently someone complained about the name so they changed it to plant cutting powder or some other benign name.

I like the whole approach to hops to help you sleep and I think its better then just taking a pill. Best way to approach it is a process of elimination through your lifestyle. Things you'd be looking at would be:

Consumption: Caffeine, processed food, excess alcohol (its a home brewing forum kinda a given) , too many refined sugars, whether you get enough fruit, veg, nuts or seeds into your diet.

Lifestyle: Exercise, leisure time (perhaps not enough), work (over worked/hate your job), stress which would in most cases be the biggest factor, depression or mental state of mind, and even if your mind is just thinking like crazy it might be a good idea to have a mental dump on a piece of paper. As in write down what you need to do in the next few days or things like that. Even a great way to deal with stress is through discussion.

I think the key with all lifestyle related things is balance. Certainly helps me sleep better.

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical practitioner or qualified in any food or health field or trying to sell anything. Just what I believe.

joshuahardie said:
http://www.totallynatural.com.au/tranquil-calm-max.htm

I have had some bad insomnia over the last couple of weeks
Not the have not slept in 2 weeks sort of insomnia, but the sleep for 2 hours, awake for 3 sleep for 2 = dang i only got 4 hours of broken sleep and i am shattered type of insomnia.

Fast forward to last night and i am looking at some brochure for a herbal tablet that is supposed to help with sleeping disorders

i check the active ingredients to find that the thing is supposedly 33% hops.... yes beer hops.

bugger this i say, go to the fridge get out some hops (NZ B Saaz for those interested) chuck em in a empty teabag, pour hot water
and voila, hop tea. tasted like hops funny enough :rolleyes: , but no more bitter than green tea.

it is funny, i was thinking of cutting back on beer to see if it was a reason i was not sleeping. going off this newfound scientific advice, i am thinking about upping my doseage....

but seriously, has anyone heard of this before, and is it likely to have any affect at all.
I had a similar problem but found the hops contained in Reschs Pilsner helped me sleep. Often it would require 17 or 18 stubbies but it always worked.

I had often wondered why I fall asleep after ten AIPAs. :icon_drool2:

Funnily enough my ex-girlfriend's Dad started using wild hop tea "to relax", drinking ONLY wild hop tea, and ended up in the hospital critically dehydrated. Turns out they're also an excellent diuretic. But then we all know that, now don't we?

I remember reading an article about traditional hop harvesting. a group of people would sit around a table, the hop bine would be dragged onto the table and they would pick the hops off by hand. Apparently by the end of the day people would just lay their heads down on the table and go into a stuporific sleep.

Reminds me of a story of people manicuring a similar plant, and rolling balls of green off their.hands. beautiful aroma off that too.

Wouldn't brew with it though...

Mate passed out trying that one ad well.

Back