Saflager S23

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeddog

Reaction score
i pitched my Saflager S23 yeast yesterday and there is no action today
I re-hydrated in water @ 20c and pitched it into my wort at approx 20c, shook the shit out of the fermenter then it went into fridge at 12c

I'm a little bit concerned as this was my first AG and hope it doesn't come down to me stuffing up the yeast :unsure:

Can i add more yeast?
Is this common with this yeast?

Please help

jeddog

i pitched my Saflager S23 yeast yesterday and there is no action today
I re-hydrated in water @ 20c and pitched it into my wort at approx 20c, shook the shit out of the fermenter then it went into fridge at 12c

I'm a little bit concerned as this was my first AG and hope it doesn't come down to me stuffing up the yeast :unsure:

Can i add more yeast?
Is this common with this yeast?

Please help

jeddog

I wouldn't worry at this stage. Give it a while to fire up.

I've found lager yeasts can take some time to show any visual sign of activity.

Leave it until later today and check again, worst case I'd imagine you'll see something by tomorrow morning, if not, then maybe look at adding more yeast.
cliffo

No action as in no airlock, no krausen...?

I agree with cliffo, no need to worry just yet. Check the gravity in a day or two and see if its shifted.
I believe most people double pitch when fermenting proper lagers at lagers temps. Alternatively, the last one I did I pitched one satchet only at just over 20 degrees and gave it about 6hrs before bringing it down to about 16, then left it overnight and took it to 12 in the morning.

I have used S23 from Fermentis a couple of times during the QLD winter, pitched at around 22 degrees and it brewed out at about 16 degrees. As I recall it took a day to get going but went steadily thereafter, produced heaps of sulphur etc .... Maybe you chilled it too quickly. Another thing I noticed about S23 is that when I bottled, it took absolutely ages to carb up. I had gelatined fined and polyclared the beer but it took around six weeks to fizz up to an acceptable lager level. Ale brews using S04 made at the same time with the same clearing methods were gassed up in about 3 weeks.

When I pitch @ 20C I give it time to let the yeast start, then transfer to fridge and drop the temp by 3C each day to my ferment temp. This is so that the yeast does not get thermo-shock and not respond as quickly as it should.

Works well with S23 and other lager yeast in my experience.

Back