Restaurant Feedback - Arthur's Hofbrau Haus & Austrian Schnitz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbeard

Sth Seas Pirate Brewery
Reaction score
I get to choose a restaurant to visit for my approaching bday. I know what the Lowenbrau, the Bavarianbiercafe & the Belgian Beer Cafe are like. Anyone been to Arthur's Hofbrau Haus in Gordon or the Austrian Schnitzelhaus in Gladesville ? Im guessing the parking would be easier than the rocks / sydney cbd, but how does the food & beer selection compare ?

thanks

I get to choose a restaurant to visit for my approaching bday. I know what the Lowenbrau, the Bavarianbiercafe & the Belgian Beer Cafe are like. Anyone been to Arthur's Hofbrau Haus in Gordon or the Austrian Schnitzelhaus in Gladesville ? Im guessing the parking would be easier than the rocks / sydney cbd, but how does the food & beer selection compare ?

thanks

im going to arthurs for my work christmas party friday night i can report back some time sat afternoon after the haze clears.

...Or you could visit the Austrian Club at Frenchs Forest. Certainly a more authentic atmosphere, especially with the old guys sitting at their regular spots am Stammtisch!

They do serve a good pork knuckle and Strudel.

I can recommend Steyvesants House in Crows Nest. Absolutely brilliant food, great big serves, plus I'm a fan of Erdinger Dunkel. The owners are a couple of (entertaining) drunks and aren't shy about pulling up a chair at your table, even if its just the two of you.

Its up there on the price scale, but if you get through two courses and a couple of 3L Bitburgers you'll have some trouble supporting your own bulk at the end of the night. :beer:

http://www.stuyvesantshouse.com/

No affilliation and the like...

ok went to arthurs last night, let me start with we had a booking for 20 people so its not like they didnt know there was going to be a rush. Upon arrival i was present ed with the beer menu that had 7 beers on it a HB original and HB dunkel on tap , Erdinger kristall and hefe bottled and a bock, then there were 2 non alacholic beers.
So i thought id start my night off with a dunkel , but alas was quickly told it was not avail, so then went for for the hefe but was then told one of the other guys at the table had just order the last cold one and they only had warm ones. So far they are scoring very poorly.

The to young male waiters had no idea what was going were trying to remember drink orders and failing badly. They also didnt know the german names for any of the items on the menu so when you order you had to simple things down to beef stew etc or show them on the menu.

I had the pork knuckle for my mains it was very good, i was unable to finish the serving, nice hard crackling on the outside with juicy meat inside.

all in all the food was good but beer selection and stock was average and the service left alot to be desired.

Back