New barrel - what sort of considerations/issues?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. No-Tip

Reaction score
I have a 100l wine barrel with lambic in it, but I'm looking for a bug free barrel for wood aging "normal" beers. Second hand barrels in 100l or less or a bit hard to find, and have risks around bugs already being in the wood.

I'm thinking about getting a new American oak barrel, but do recall reading some issues around using brand new barrels for beer. Is it just a matter of keeping contact short till the barrel matures? Should I get it charred or toasted? Issues if I can't get either? Would it be a good idea to splash some cheap spirits around first?

Advice appreciated.

I haven't done anything with barrels at all but having just started to read Gordon Strong's book 'Brewing Better Beer', & seeing your comments about cheap spirits, charring, & toasting. I would just like too say, 'take care if you do it yourself'.

The issue I see coming from a lambic is the Brett will be in the wood. Filling it with spirits may kill it off, but it would be expensive to buy that much and I'd be worried about the spirits after it has been in there, that you may not enjoy drinking it. Re-charring the inside I think would kill off the bacteria, but I think you would be left with a barrel which may be a bit full on for a beer. You would need to run some spirits through it for a while to mellow our the flavors. I know they are hard to get, but I would look for a fresh wine one.

If he wants I believe CoreBrewing and also 'Roll out the barrel' do them too.

Roll out the barrel will also rechar the Yalumba Octaves. They are pretty suss on doing cheap barrels, but i do know they will process the octaves. Recharring is pretty cheap and you can specify a light toast.

The Yalumba barrels come up every year and are cheap. Have a look back through the bulk buy pages.

I wouldn't buy anything from Core brewing... Worst service ever
Check out the thread about him...

Back