Kegging Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mick8882003

Reaction score
I've just tested my latest brew, bog standard coopers with dex :( and the sg is sitting on 1012.

Now I have used an online calculator to estimate that the final sg should 1008.

The thing is I am cleaning out two of my kegs today (its a double batch) and it would be handy to keg it this evening.

Tell me, close enough or should I wait another three days (my estimate to reach FG)

Cheers Mick

BTW, you guys are great!

Keg it and leave it for a few days at fermenting temperature. It may do a little fermenting in the keg, then you can put in the fridge and a carb.

Alternatively, fridge up and carb without waiting if you need to get on tap.

Interestingly I looked up at how many points priming sugar adds, and its 2 points, hmm, I am thinking of killing two birds with one stone this evening.

Ideally you would want to have a consistent FG reading over a couple of days - but understanding your need to keg straight away, hence you may as well.

Any minor remaining fermentation wont add much pressure compared to carbing up a keg, and kegs can take a helluva lot of pressure, hence I dont see an issue placing in keg.

if fermentation isn't quite complete and you keg, will it just finish off in the keg? obviously the keg won't explode like a bottle!

Most Cornelius kegs have a built in pressure relief valve. Having said that I just tapped my all grain for a taste, it must not have been quite finished, there is foam on the ceiling!!!!

I shit myself when the tap poured out that fast, dunno which was worse!

Edit: Oh yes and if you notice your gas line jump when you tap the keg, then watch out.

Most Cornelius kegs have a built in pressure relief valve. Having said that I just tapped my all grain for a taste, it must not have been quite finished, there is foam on the ceiling!!!!

I shit myself when the tap poured out that fast, dunno which was worse!

Edit: Oh yes and if you notice your gas line jump when you tap the keg, then watch out.

Had you shaken it up? Normally you'd have a CO2 pocket of gas on top...

More importantly, did it taste good?

Sorry probably off topic with the above comment... :icon_offtopic:

Once the foam dies down it tastes like heaven, going to leave it for another month to see how it develops, I think I am in love with fresh cascade hops.

Edit, and no I didn't shake it, it turned to foam as soon as it left the tap, and hell was it leaving the tap, I reckon I could have killed the cat with it lol. (joking)

Back