Grolsch Bottle Users: Do You Love Them?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grolsch bottles are all right, but I prefer longnecks. I write what beer it is on the cap, and I'm not really sure how to erase the texta from the previous batch off the top for the next one! Also, longnecks are a little bigger.

Grolsch bottles are all right, but I prefer longnecks. I write what beer it is on the cap, and I'm not really sure how to erase the texta from the previous batch off the top for the next one! Also, longnecks are a little bigger.
I use little round plain white stickers to write on. Then you can just put a new one on or scrub the old one off...

I have between 500 and 600

great

Some people say you can get light struck beer using the green one

yet to happen

Just found a mummified lizard in one of the bottles. I wonder how long he's been there for?
Currently soaking in some water so he softens up enough to uncurl and slip back out.
Gross, just gross. :icon_vomit: but there's nothing a week long soaking in bleach can't fix.

Used to be able to buy Grolsch Amber (a Dutch Altbier) from Mac's liquor, so you could try First Choice.
I have a few of these bottles.
One thing I've found is that Grolsch bottles can't handle a lot of pressure, so no good for wheat beer, IMHO.

Schwelmer also used to make an Alt, but it's no longer imported , according to my fave no-brew shop.

Really? I did my first Witbier in my grolsch bottles... Allthough since then have decided its better for undercarbed ales...

Quote - "Oh the old Light problem with using Green bottles"
:party:
heres a PDF i found on the absorbtion qualities of certain beer bottles. thought someone may enjoy it!
View attachment 20713
can someone tell us from experience, if there is much difference in taste at the end of the day?

Absolutely......
Some time back I decided to do an experiment.....after seeing the basicbrewing guys talking about it.
I put 3 identical beers out in the sun for 20-30 minutes. One was in a brown coopers pet bottle. One was in a green bottle (which happened at that time to be a grolsh) and one was in a clear pet bottle.

Now the day wasn't particularly hot, frm memory it was around 25. But it was noon, and it was nice and sunny, not a cloud in the sky.

When I got the bottles inside, i decided to try them straight away. Thanks to a surpluss of pommy genes, warm beer, even above cellar temp doesn't phase me at all. :p

The results were.......
No difference. Coopers draught K&K was used. So I thought, is it the isohops in this particular beer causing issue? so I repeated it with an extract brew I had hopped myself.

New results.......
brown bottle. Fine. No problem.
Green bottle...Yuck. fairly foul smell, horrible taste. (worse than army food. Honestly.)
clearbottle....the smell made me retch. But I managed to calm myself, I had resolved to smell and taste. This is in the name of science, afterall. So I tasted it. Months later, I still wish I hadn't. Vomit everywhere. Won't be doing that again!

EDIT the thing that surprised me most of all was how quickly it turned. :blink:

Absolutely......
Some time back I decided to do an experiment.....after seeing the basicbrewing guys talking about it.
I put 3 identical beers out in the sun for 20-30 minutes. One was in a brown coopers pet bottle. One was in a green bottle (which happened at that time to be a grolsh) and one was in a clear pet bottle.

Now the day wasn't particularly hot, frm memory it was around 25. But it was noon, and it was nice and sunny, not a cloud in the sky.

When I got the bottles inside, i decided to try them straight away. Thanks to a surpluss of pommy genes, warm beer, even above cellar temp doesn't phase me at all. :p

The results were.......
No difference. Coopers draught K&K was used. So I thought, is it the isohops in this particular beer causing issue? so I repeated it with an extract brew I had hopped myself.

New results.......
Green bottle...Yuck. fairly foul smell, horrible taste. (worse than army food. Honestly.)clearbottle....the smell made me retch. But I managed to calm myself, I had resolved to smell and taste. This is in the name of science, afterall. So I tasted it. Months later, I still wish I hadn't. Vomit everywhere. Won't be doing that again!

Been brewing for about 7 years now , never had beer that was yuck

would like to know if I am used to skunky stuff , but doubt it

keep my brew in a windowless garage and a beer fridge , once it hits daylight it gone

Just to expand on what I was saying....I'm not anti-green bottle. I use green bottles all the time, they're easy to get your hands on, particularly if you know some heineken drinkers and can get the bottles for free ;) . Most of us are a bit more sensible with our beer, and keep it in dark, cool conditions anyway. we don't leave it out to deliberately skunk up :D
Thats why your beer is fine, Rod. Windowless garage, to fridge, to glass. No fannying about. Heineken, off the shelf, from a bottle shop with low turn over, though.....thats another story ;)

Are there any styles swing tops are best suited to?

I only have a few green Grolsch swing tops as well a one of the massive ones, but only make small batches....I've liked the idea of using them for meads, crack open, pour out a serve and seal up again easily.

How would the larger bottle (1.5L I think) go maturing something big like a barley wine over an extended period - any advantage in having a larger quantity all in the one bottle?

Any thoughts?

Kev

I read on the Chimay website that ageing beer in a bigger vessel ie 1.5litre over 750mls works alot better as it helps the flavours meld together etc...

Not sure if there is truth to this or if they just say it to sell their 1.5litre magnums?

I would love to have more, but presently I use two for each batch when I bottle.
Then I can open them early to see if they are ready to drink!
:)

On the topic of Grolsch bottles, does anyone know where to get some? My friend thinks that *maybe* they're a seasonal thing, but I'm not too sure...

Absolutely......

The results were.......

New results.......
Green bottle...Yuck. fairly foul smell, horrible taste. (worse than army food. Honestly.)
clearbottle....the smell made me retch. But I managed to calm myself, I had resolved to smell and taste. This is in the name of science, afterall. So I tasted it. Months later, I still wish I hadn't. Vomit everywhere. Won't be doing that again!

Sir I applaud your scientific endevour, though may I suggest that for statistical rigour a larger sample size is required, as is a double blind sampling methodology and a numerical score rating for each bottle...

Beer! ! !
Inspiring aussie blokes to learn about science!

Sir I applaud your scientific endevour, though may I suggest that for statistical rigour a larger sample size is required, as is a double blind sampling methodology and a numerical score rating for each bottle...

Beer! ! !
Inspiring aussie blokes to learn about science!

After the last effort, I'll be buggered by a lumberjack before I try this experiment again! :p :lol:

Back