Font Or Tap And Shank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxd

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

looking at buying a chest freezer (cheap so don't mind going through lid or adding a collar). What are the pro's and cons for each.

for me I think a font would look good on the bar, but when you open the lid you need to be careful.

cheers
Matt

Hi Guys,

looking at buying a chest freezer (cheap so don't mind going through lid or adding a collar). What are the pro's and cons for each.

for me I think a font would look good on the bar, but when you open the lid you need to be careful.

cheers
Matt

Go the font Mattie ! All Class :) If your mounting on tof of freezer you wont need a flooded one.

Riverside

Fonts are a lot harder I reckon. Taps and shanks I reckon would be the easier method in initial installation and maintenance.

Taps and shanks is certainly the cheaper option (by a margin that im finding to be quite large!) and you can always buy taps and shanks build a collar and the slowly put together all the parts for a font as funds come available.

That said it does depend on what type of font you are looking at. If you're looking at a plain column font like the style that comes with a kegerator you could do it at a comparable cost to collar and shanks. Where as a T bar type font or similar could be an expensive option to start with.

something to consider, some people use a collar so they can fit extra kegs in the freezer, also with a collar you can always drill another hole for another tap or more!

theres some nice fonts on ebay at the moment for $215[link below], I just picked one up. Your gonna need to get decent taps anyway so its only an extra coupla hundred unflooded. I'm not sure what fittings I might need to get my perlick taps on there, but you wont need to buy the 4'' doodads that go through the door. Look at Tonys font in the thread below, thats what sold me on the whole idea :icon_cheers:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum//ind...c=38590&hl=

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DOUBLE-COBRA-BEER-F...=item3ca6b700b9

Back