Calcium Chloride

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Reaction score
I stopped into Gaganis today to grab some whole spelt and they had Calcium Chloride back on the shelves at $2 for 500g (foodgrade).

Calcium Chloride is a water softener and helps lower mash pH, it eccentuates maltiness, rather than hoppyness like with Calcium Sulphate (Gypsum).

Anyone intested in a trade I could drop a bag or two into a post pack.

No affiliation, I just know it can be tricky to get.

Cheers

:icon_cheers:

they've had it every time I've been in there. top place eh?

Yeah its really an alladins cave of burners, demi johns and other goodies.
I guess today was the first time I've been in for quite a while, I tried to get it there a few times last year and it wasnt in stock.

how much do you use in a batch?

This from a doc produced by Tony Wheeler of VicBrew.

Cheers, Hoges.

calcium chloride CaCl2.2H2O Composition by weight: 27.2% Ca2+ 48.3% Cl-
Stock solution: Use a measuring jug to dissolve a 100g packet of CaCl2 in about 400ml of cold water (this
takes a few minutes) then top up with cold water to 540ml. A Powerade type drink bottle (approx 600ml)
with re-sealable nozzle makes a convenient dispensing bottle.
Add to brewing liquor at 1:1000 dilution (eg. add 30ml to 30 litres, 50ml to 50 litres etc.)
This will give 50 ppm Ca2+ and 90 ppm Cl-, satisfying the minimum Ca2+ requirement for all beers. Try
doubling this rate for pale beers to help get the mash pH down. Addition of calcium chloride by this
method is an ideal first step in tackling water treatment for all beers. Later on, you can consider adding
calcium carbonate and calcium sulphate to your repertoire.

Addition of calcium chloride by this method is an ideal first step in tackling water treatment for all beers. Later on, you can consider adding
calcium carbonate and calcium sulphate to your repertoire.

Excuse my ignorance, but the treatment of the water is beneficial regardless of wether the wort is boiled or not ie K&K?

Cheers,

InCider.

Incider.
Water is treated to get the best extraction from the mash.
I.e the adjust ph and to get the best enzymatic activity in extracting the godis from the malt.

In K&K's that work is done for you already by the "kettlers/malters"

Saying that, using soft water for pale ales and harden the water for you bitter when topping up doing K&K's
will improve to keep to style.

Cheerd :icon_cheers:

Incider.
Water is treated to get the best extraction from the mash.
I.e the adjust ph and to get the best enzymatic activity in extracting the godis from the malt.

In K&K's that work is done for you already by the "kettlers/malters"

Saying that, using soft water for pale ales and harden the water for you bitter when topping up doing K&K's
will improve to keep to style.

Cheerd :icon_cheers:

Thanks Matti - so the work is done for a 'dump and run' :icon_cheers:

Would this make a difference being added to change the taste or scent of the brew given that treated water in some areas has distinct taste?

Cheers,

Sean :)

:icon_offtopic:
Would this make a difference being added to change the taste or scent of the brew given that treated water in some areas has distinct taste?

No doubt!

Get yourself a copy of Ray Daniels "designing great beers".
It will be my next purchase.

If your into lagers "New Brewing lager beer" by Gregory. J. Noonan.
Though it is very comprehensive, it is very heavy, and all in gallons and quarts.
for example...
"Adding 1g CaCl2 / Gallon gives 72 PPM Calcium, 127 ppm chloride."
Then what!?

You really need to know your water chemistry.....

John Palmer is much easier and available online.

matti

Back