Boring German Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know that in Australia this wisdom does NOT apply, but drink what te locals do. I couldn't find any locals in Germany drinking oettinger, most of the popular German beers don't make it here really. Why would I go drink what sells so bad in it's homeland (where they ARE spoilt for choice) that they need to export tons of it.... Think fosters, crown lager, Carlton cold....

As for boring German beer - isn't germany the home of altbier, kolsch, rauchbier, Doppelbock, weizen, dunkel, munich lager and marzen?

I find that pretty interesting.

Interesting to an Aussie maybe.

To a German they are all probably pretty well worn.

They are all old styles with traditional ingredients.

The micro breweries in the US are experimenting with a much larger range of ingredients. And a much larger array of styles. Creating new styles, reinventing styles. Hence the craft beer industry grew 12% in the US in 2010 while the rest of the economy was struggling.

Breweries like DFH can't keep up with demand and are pushing the limits on the definition of micro brewery.

Every time I go there I know I can get a beer that I have never had anything like before.

I see it the same way I see food. I can enjoy a well cooked steak, roast chicken, etc and I can enjoy a sophisticated fine dining experience.

Both have their place and I have no need to see one replace the other or to decide which one wins the great battle. They fill different niches. If the German beer industry wants to revamp themselves to become more exciting/inventive/whatever then great - they should do so. I think re-inventing yourself simply by making your country's IPA is like revamping your folk music by adding a techno beat to it though.

I'd also be surprised to find out that beer lovers anywhere would consider rauchbier or weizen eisbock boring, regardless of country of origin. Maybe the Belgians find geuze or westvleteren dull?

Love German beers, even the cheaparsed $30 slabs have a different flavour than the usual aussie POR lager. It's not dressed up to be anything other than a cheap way to get pissed.
Better german lagers (well, the famous brands) are still just session beers to me. Nothing to get excited about, but they go down well
Went to Bavarian Bier Cafe last week with workmates for an Oktoberfest dinner. Saw their 5 octoberfest's they had advertised, and they had the flyer on their counter. But when we went to order a round, they'd sold out.
Barman: "but ve haff da [insert fast guttural sounding german beer name here] vich iss kinduv un octoberfest beer. Iss dark und malty".
Me: "What was that called again?"
Workmate: "doesn't matter, gimme 3 of them"

It was bloody lovely. Tasted Dunkel/schwartz territory to me.
Hot barmaid came over... me: "can we get another round of this?"
barmaid: "Da [insert fast guttural sounding german beer name here]? Ya!"

As she was getting them, I wrote down what I heard "TI OOM FART DOOR" and showed it to her..."Pardon me I'm a beernerd and I have to know what this is called, have I spelt it right?" She laughed and bent down to rewrite it.

Later on I looked at what she wrote.... at the time we were too busy enjoying the closeup view of one of the best cleavage in the bar.
Oh yeah the beer was the Triumphator. Very nice indeed.... so is the mammary memory.

I'd also be surprised to find out that beer lovers anywhere would consider rauchbier or weizen eisbock boring, regardless of country of origin. Maybe the Belgians find geuze or westvleteren dull?

Confused. Are saying the article is wrong and that beer sales are not in decline in Germany?

Or that people could never get bored with the same 6-7 styles in a lifetime?

Back