Boiling K&k Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesc

Reaction score
So im reading my Christmas present "the complete joy of home brewing" by charlie papazain, in the very start of the beginner section he recommends that you add the can of malt extract and the sugar to about 5.7l water and bring it to the boil then simmer for 45mins.

Now i was under the impression that this would stuff the flavours etc in a normal kit of say coopers pale.

He goes on to say by doing this it will result in a much better beer is all your ingredients are boiled for atleast 45mins.

I think you will find that the malt extract Charlie is talking about is just plain liquid malt extract. Coopers' cans contain extra flavouring compounds that are driven off in the boil.

Boil your dry malt extracts and add your coopers can at flameout.

Absolutely!
Most malt extract + isohop tins will suffer badly from boiling.

Plus, I'd check the publishing date on that book. IIRC, it's becoming a little dated, and that should be taken into account. I just checked Amazon.com (no affiliation) and read that the book was revised and updated in 1991, so please be aware that brewing knowledge has moved on since that date (as expected).

Don't get me wrong. It's prob still a good book, but I thought that I should add that warning, in case of "dated" information.

Beerz
Seth :p

yeah just as i thought , was just hopeing for a little clarifcation
the book i have is a 3rd edition and was redone in 2003 as far as i can tell

I was reading an Australian book recently, "Brewing Better Beer" by Jack Faber.
I think its a new book and he too recommends boiling kits to acheive the hot break
and remove protein from the wort. :unsure:

braufrau

I was reading an Australian book recently, "Brewing Better Beer" by Jack Faber.
I think its a new book and he too recommends boiling kits to acheive the hot break
and remove protein from the wort. :unsure:
braufrau

I've read this book too - local guy from Laidley/Gatton area. Dave millers "Brewing the Worls's Great Beers" also recommends boiling the wort for K&K beers. Althought as AdamT has pointed out for Papazain -Millers recipes uses unhopped extracts.

Interesting thread - I have boiled the last few K&K brews that I have done. Haven't noticed any off flavours or any major improvement for that matter. I usually add additional hops so this may counter any boil-off of the hops in the extract

Cheers

When I use kits I usually add DME instead of sugar. The extra malt usually needs a liytle hopping to balance, plus I like some aroma (for appropriate styles, of course). So I boil up the DME and 'sufficient' hops for 20-30 minutes in ~10L, then as suggested above, throw the kit into that at flameout.

Back