Any Traditional Recipes (lambics, Etc.) For Mouldy Hops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdilley

Reaction score
I've used up almost all of my very well aged Hops without realising that their might be a traditional Belgium recipe that calls for aged or olde hops instead of the fresh harvest.

I have 100grams left of a well aged Northern Brewer as the last of my Mouldies and wondering if its enough to put down an authentic Belgian if anyone has a good Recipe.

Cheers Michael ;P
Brewer Pete

lambics etc use aged hops - the idea is that they will be devoid of bitterness and hop flavour/aroma, but will still confer the preservative qualities of hops.

Your aged hops will work in those sorts of beers. But if they are actually mouldy or cheesy .. then toss em out.

Sorry, Mouldy is my term for very old hops. They are still shrink sealed in plastic and air tight. They just are as you say devoid of aroma and much flavour.

I've always seen fresh hops at the LHBS, is there a market to go get old hops from?

EDIT: Check out the book buy 2009 post, I've hit the Belgiums up in books to learn more in depth about the styles.

Back