Hops Nearly Killed My Dog!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Threw the dregs of the fermenter including a Saaz hops T'bag out into a tray and my two dogs drank some of the dregs,
one actually picked up the T'bag, bit into it an then dropped it straight away. Didn't affect him at all and they do get about a pot glass of beer between them each week.
Mongrel breeds, they're as tough as nails. :eek:

Is there any difference in the toxicity of the hops after they have been boiled as opposed to fresh ones?

I'm sure my pups have had a few stray hop petals after they have been used to dry hop, but i am more worried about the 5 hop plants i have growing throughout my yard.

No doubt best to keep them away from everything, i might have to rethink my planting stragegy :(

the problem with this is that not may people/vets know anything about it since I guess the hop plant is quite rare in australia...

especially fresh V pellets and used V unused...

Anyone know a Vet who can investigate?

any one had any recent dog V's hop problems?

This sounds like a problem that any dog owner and hop grower/brewer doesnt need !!

am thinking of pulling my hops or at least moving to dog free areas :/

any one had any recent dog V's hop problems?

This sounds like a problem that any dog owner and hop grower/brewer doesnt need !!

am thinking of pulling my hops or at least moving to dog free areas :/

Great looking heelers! I have a very boisterous new lab x std poodle, chews branches off my almond trees, the wifes beloved jacaranda, pulled out a 10 year old camelia, but does not go anywhere near the hops. Even when I throw the hot break n trub on the lawn, not one bit interested and I am ta;lking a dog that would eat cat shit before the dirt was wiped off it.
I did observe for a while and was concerned but I figure something/anything would have to be mighty hungry to eat a hop. Horses for courses of course. Those greyhounds liking them make me think of betting scandal :eek:

I have read a bit about this.

It is not the hops that they like, it is the wort on the hops.

Never have seen anything about dogs eating hops off the vine. Live next to one of the big hop producing areas in the USA.

Not to say some dog will not eat hops off the vine or even go so far as to open your freezer and tear into your stash. Just that most dogs are not into eating hops. Also sight hounds and some other skinny breads seem to be the most susceptible. Labs as mentioned and I guess any stupid dog that will eat any kind of garbage. Lucky that most stupid dogs are fat mutts and seem to be less likely to have problems.

That dog on the back of the truck must be real old. I thought you outlawed docking tails?

Our dog nearly died of Marihuana poisoning in 2001, took the vet a while to find info on treating him, he checked with vets from a nearby town where they see a bit of it. A nearly lethal dose of Valium was administered, touch and go for two days but he pulled through. He never was the same afterwards, poor bugger, cancer got him in 2007. Bet the kid never hid his baggie in that spot again :lol:

Same plant family, be interesting to see if the same treatment is required.

Screwy

Back