Coffee In Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Size: 20,0 L
Efficiency: 75%
Attenuation: 65%
Calories: 221,35 kcal per 12,0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1,065 (1,056 - 1,075)
|===============#================|
Terminal Gravity: 1,023 (1,010 - 1,018)
|================================|
Color: 67,4 (59,1 - 78,8)
|==============#=================|
Alcohol: 5,58% (5,5% - 8,0%)
|========#=======================|
Bitterness: 40,0 (30,0 - 70,0)
|===========#====================|

Ingredients:
4500 g Maris Otter
350 g Crystal 60
350 g Crystal 120
350 g Black Malt
350 g Roasted Barley
350 g Coffee (ground) - cold extract - added to secondary
80 g Goldings (4%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 ea WYeast 1084 Irish Ale

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 21,11 C
Source Water: 15,56 C
Elevation: 0,0 m

Notes
Coffee to be extracted in cold (!) sanitized water in fridge, for 24h

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.11

Any notes on how this tasted? I'm going to give it a crack. It 'looks' quite bitter with the Barley/Black Malt/Coffee but I can see its only 40 on the bitterness.
Could I scale back that coffee a bit? I want coffee to be there but not too dominant, thinking more of a coffee and cream flavour rather than liquid espresso.
I'll probably follow the advice previously and soak the beans in sterile water for 24 hours, then add that to secondary towards the end of fermentation.
Thanks for sharing the recipe..

Sam Caligione (Dogfish Head Brewery) offers some discussion on adding coffee in the 'Extreme Brewing' book (amongst other weird stuff). He advocates adding 1-2 shots of espresso to a 19L batch in the last 10 mins of boil from memory (don't have the book with me so will check). That said, plenty of the other suggestions here sound like they'd work nicely.

Speaking of coffee beers Matilda Bay have a seasonal release of a coffee porter called Long Shot. Made me all jittery drinking just one stubby. So you caffeine heads better bear that in mind constructing your recipes that you don't add too much or you'll give yourselves heart attacks after polishing off a six pack. :D

Cheers,

Hopper.

Any notes on how this tasted?

Unfortunately I have no notes... I made only a downsized batch - 5L - and, as I've said, it disappeared pretty quickly in my friend's throats roaring for more :-D From what I remember, very ! strong roast/espresso character but, due to low attenuation, sufficiently balanced by sweetness. Depending of the coffee brand/type/roast level, you may adjust its amount up or down. Mine was Union's Espresso Blend stolen from cafe my GF work in ;-)

Bottled my "vanilla latte stout" today, a partial using the last runnings of an american stout. I used to cold extraction method with 50g of ground coffee (in a 12 litre batch) and added it to the fermentor after primary, along with a slit open vanilla bean. Coffee is tasting quite strong, can't taste much vanilla but can smell it. Mouthfeel is a little cloying at the moment, maybe didn't need the extra steeped crystal malt (or maybe the lactose) as it seems out of balance with the coffee bitterness taste but I'll taste it again in a few weeks...

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will tone that coffee down, I drink too much as it is!
But I will definitely get some in there to open up the flavour and I like the idea of a vanilla bean too, will try and get this one down over the weekend.

Back