Best Malt To Use With Flaked Maize

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey gang.
Just wondering what would be the best malt to use with a heap of flaked maize?
Im thinking 5kg maize
1.5kg rye
1kg of ........... pilsener malt or ale? What would have a better diastic power to get more fermentables from the maize?
cheers

Hey gang.
Just wondering what would be the best malt to use with a heap of flaked maize?
Im thinking 5kg maize
1.5kg rye
1kg of ........... pilsener malt or ale? What would have a better diastic power to get more fermentables from the maize?
cheers

is that all the grain you gonna use ? 2.5kg with 5kg maize ? you making corn soup ?

JW trad ale has a high diastic power, probably amongst the highest listed in my beersmith as 320 lintner

Im just brewing a trial so to speak.
Would weyermann ale malt be similiar to JW trad?
I was also looking at wey pils malt.

Im just brewing a trial so to speak.
Would weyermann ale malt be similiar to JW trad?
I was also looking at wey pils malt.

weyerman ale is listed as only 100 lintner in beersmith

Capture.JPG

Thanks for that mate, i might even run with M/O. cheers

I liked using it with BB Galaxy for a nice American Lager or Cream Ales.

I would go 50/50 Pils and ale.

No definitely not MO, the UK malts can only take about 15% adjuncts. I'd go BB Ale or Pils. Weyrmann pils can take up to 30 % according to the guy at the Wey presentation. I've converted 50/50 BB/maize in a cereal mash.

No definitely not MO, the UK malts can only take about 15% adjuncts. I'd go BB Ale or Pils. Weyrmann pils can take up to 30 % according to the guy at the Wey presentation. I've converted 50/50 BB/maize in a cereal mash.

righto, BB ale it is! thanks mate.

J1G
Im thinking 5kg maize
1.5kg rye
1kg of ...........
I assume thats flaked maize
I'm thinking you should read up on enzymes.
I've converted 50/50 BB/maize in a cereal mash.
Great thing about flaked maize is that it does not require a cereal mash.

K

At six bucks a kilo it bloody well wouldn't want to either :lol:

J1G

I assume thats flaked maize
I'm thinking you should read up on enzymes.

Great thing about flaked maize is that it does not require a cereal mash.

K

So i can just bung it in at 66deg and mash for the HR with the other grains no dramas? No need to boil the flaked maize first, then gradually cool back to mash temp?

Yes, use as-is although I would be tempted to use a portion of the strike liquor to swell it a bit first - but that's just me being paranoid - :p but as DrK says, have a read on enzymes (Palmer online is a good start) and also have a look at the Lintner scale which gives an indication of how much extra adjunct a particular malt can convert apart from just itself.

Nice to see that the Briess Yellow Corn Flakes are now available in Australia
Always good to have the American product available for those who want to make Yankee style beer.
As DrK said, straight into the mash, no need to pre-treat the grain in any way, thats why you pay the extra.View attachment 43722
MHB

Mark, is American six row available, has ever been available, or is at some stage going to be available in Australia? Yes I know many of our domestic malts are high lintner and bland etc but I'd love to get my hands on some of the real stuff. :)

Nice to see that the Briess Yellow Corn Flakes are now available in Australia
Always good to have the American product available for those who want to make Yankee style beer.
As DrK said, straight into the mash, no need to pre-treat the grain in any way, that's why you pay the extra.View attachment 43722
MHB

that spec sheet says to use max 40% of grist, looks like you might not get full conversion if you used say 65%

Not at present and I for one cant think why anyone would import it, frankly it isnt really suitable for small scale brewing and I think if you screwed around with it enough to make it work well, it would taste the same as a good Aussie pale malt without the screwing around.
What is available is: -
Pale Ale
Ashburn Mild Malt
Munich
Victory
Dextrin (think Carapillis and lots of trademark issues)
Caramel Munich (~120 EBC)
Caramel Malt (~240 EBC)
Special Roast
Extra special Roast
Dark Chocolate
Torrefied Wheat
Red Wheat Malt
Midnight Wheat
Yellow Corn Flakes
Rye Malt
Also a full range of 1.5 Kg canisters of LME and about half a dozen DME products including one thats something like 6,000 EBC (think Dried Sinamar)
If they arent yet Im sure all the main malt stockists will have the some or all of them in stock soon.
MHB

that spec sheet says to use max 40% of grist, looks like you might not get full conversion if you used say 65%
Not without a bucket of enzymes, no you wouldnt
M

Im thinking 5kg maize
1.5kg rye
1kg of ........... pilsener malt or ale?

Um..... :blink: good luck with that.

Maize is usually added to lighten the body and colour of the beer. It also adds a nice sweet corn (of course :rolleyes: ) flavour.

It doesnt have any husks and can gum up your mash.

Rye will add an oily slick texture to the beer and will also gum up the mash.

and 1kg of anything wont convert all that extra youe adding.

I make a killer Classic American Pils with 70% pils (IMC or Galaxy) 25% flaked maize and 5% carahell. It can struggle a bit with this low amount of adjunct, so ride with some caution when using it for the first time.

cheers

Jack Daniels maltbill is 80% corn, 12% rye and 8% malt....
What a co-incidence... i hope everyone picks up what im putting down... :D :rolleyes:

Aye, but they would have to use extraneous enzymes to convert that amount of adjunct.

Unless they use malted corn, and yes it is available as there's a guy on another forum overseas doing just that.

Latest posts

Back