Vanilla Porter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Reaction score
All,
Its been a while since I posted, and iv'e done some searching but haven't been able to find an answer.
I'm considering doing an AG Vanilla Porter, but am unsure about the vanilla addition. I've got 2 fresh beans that I intend to split and add to the primary fermentation.

Most of what I have read uses the bean in a secondary or as a dry hop. I generally pressure ferment, so I'm not too keen on opening the fermenter during the fermentation.

Will adding the vanilla in the primary reduce its effectiveness? Will it become overpowering? Would I benefit from adding more beans?

Grateful for any advice,

Cheers,

Fester.

Ps: Recipe in case you were wondering:

4Kg Pale malt
170g Roast Barley
110g Carafa I
110g Chocolate Malt
110g Roasted Wheat
2 Vanilla beans into Primary

90 min boil, 25g Chinook @ 60 (No Chill)

US-05 @ 10PSI

All that I have read states in the secondary for 2 weeks. If you soak the beans in Vodka prior to fermenting, you get a jump start on the extraction time and can package the beer sooner.
I think the ferment will scrub perceived smell and taste rather than overpowering.
You can pour the Vanilla infused Vodka into the keg if you need more smell and taste.

Latest posts

Back