Yeast Container Bulk Buy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks OZBREWER, just PM me for payment details, I will do a direct deposit straight into your account if it suits or post a cheque.

As for the sterile water issue, I have just added some cooled boiled water to the slurry, after raking, and put in 250ml bottles. After that has settled down I decant off the clear and add some more cooled boilded water. I have made a starter up from one of these, no probs., so I am not to fussed with the serile water issue, but thats just me. Yeast appears to be pretty tough stuff.
STEPHEN

yeah it is pretty easy to work with

I have found with slurry the best thing to do is wash it....Chiller did a post here someware on the how to, but do a google on yeast washing, its pretty easy to do, and you get rid of the trub and crap

ok were at
ozbrewer 200
Peter shane 100
Mobrien 100
Hoops 100
Bonk 100
Brizbrew 100
Ross 100
SJW 100

the price is looking good at 0.30c each plus postage to me, the cheeper ones are not clear and melt in a autoclave, so probably will do the same in a pressure cooker...

any more for any more,
if we get less then the 1500 the price increase in just silly, nearly 50cents each,

any of you out of staters need some tubes??????

Hi guys just thought I would let you know of this mob in Queensland I found today, they call themselves Prositech and have a wide range of stuff.

http://www.proscitech.com.au/catalogue/get_frames.htm?l9.asp

They seem to deal in small lots as well I just ordered 50x 50ml sterile Centrifuge tubes for $37.00 delivered (theres a $10 delivery charge on orders under $200).
They say they can be autoclaved also.

Cheers
:chug:

Darren said:
[post="72915"][/post]​
If you place your tubes in deep boiling water (ie almost completely submerged) for 20-30 mins it will be just as effective as pressure for 10 mins.
[post="73003"][/post]​
Do you have some references to back that up? I was led to believe that some things (uncommon or not) survive boiling temperatures but are killed by pressure cooker conditions.

Sos,
Yep there plent of bugs that will survive boiling temps, those that have a spore forming vegetative state such as Chlostridium species (botulism tetanus). None of these organisms will grow in water or the presence of oxygen. The presence of alcohol also kills them. It is certainly a problem if you are "canning" your wort.
So you really only need to kill the bugs that are going to cause you a problem.
You don't pressure cook your you beer do you?
If you have a pressure cooker then use it. If you don't boiled cooled water would just as effective to store yeast
Something I never see mentioned though is that for the pressure to be effective the lids on the tubes/bottles must be loose otherwise the pressurised steam will not enter the tube

I thought the subject of this thread was "Yeast Container Bulk Buy". I guess I need new glasses or something as everytime I check back to see how many people interested in this bulk buy all I read is how to boil or not to boil and read about the life cycle of a germ.

Is the bulk buy still going ahead? How many is Darren buying?

PeterS....

yeah good piont peter......i did ask if people knew how to start a new thread

I dont' care if u end up getting a better deal elsewhere or not, but I would not like to go bigger than a 50ml vial. And I guess most people would be the same. Just my 2c worth.

STEVE

Peter Shane said:
I thought the subject of this thread was "Yeast Container Bulk Buy". I guess I need new glasses or something as everytime I check back to see how many people interested in this bulk buy all I read is how to boil or not to boil and read about the life cycle of a germ.

Is the bulk buy still going ahead? How many is Darren buying?

PeterS....
[post="73151"][/post]​

No plastic for culturing thanks

im still waiting for an email back about the other ones, but i think the ones thaat ausdb sorced were the best

welcome abord lindsay......

we still need 500more.....anyone want an extra 50?........its only another $15?????

ozbrewer 200
Peter shane 100
Mobrien 100
Hoops 100
Bonk 100
Brizbrew 100
Ross 100
SJW 100
Lindsay 100

thats 1000

have i missed anyone?

ok looks like ill have to carry the extra 500

can all that are in email me [email protected] with that subject "yeast containers" and ill send my bank details, I spoke to a few suppliers today and these are about the best we will get for the price... there are cheeper ones but they arnt clear, and the effects on multiple autoclave/pressure cooking is not the best

one i have heard from everyone i will place the order

just waiting on replies from

Brizbrew
Ross
Lindsay

have i missed anyone????

Coogee did you want some?

ozbrewer said:
just waiting on replies from

Brizbrew
Ross
Lindsay

have i missed anyone????

Coogee did you want some?
[post="73636"][/post]​
Just sent mail mate, sorry about the delay. :super:

I wouldn't mind getting 50 of them sent down to Geelong, if that's ok.

Cheers :)

no probs but jsut be aware that the psotage will be $8

send me an email if you can to [email protected]

If i can get a few more to commit I can place the order on friday

Back