Wyeast Viability

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.DJ.

Reaction score
2 packs of Wyeast I have Purchased in the last few months have failed to get going... They have been kept in the fridge until use..

They were probably about 5-6 months old by the time I got to use them but I did not think this would be too much of an issue as I'm sure I have heard ppl using older ones that this... However, if it keeps becomeing an issue, its going to get quite expensive...

I'm thinking, to ensure they are going to work is to smack, split and use in a starter immedately after receiving them, then place in the fridge until I'm ready to use them...

Would this be a better way to ensure they dont "die" in the packet?

That's one way DJ. How were you sure they were knackered though, no swell?

FWIW I've never treated a smack pack as one batch of beer, always used it for several starters and for the hard to get stuff, first some goes on to slants.

What strains were they? I know 3068 takes forever to get going once its a few months old. I smacked one that was 6 months old the other week and it took 3 days to swell, fresh it would have been only hours.

That's one way DJ. How were you sure they were knackered though, no swell?

FWIW I've never treated a smack pack as one batch of beer, always used it for several starters and for the hard to get stuff, first some goes on to slants.

one was smacked pitched into wort (as per instructions) and no action after 3 days... this current one was smacked, warmed up and pitched into LDME/Water mix.

As far as splitting I ususally would then use slurry for subsequent bews..

As far as the strains they were 1028 and 1272

one was smacked pitched into wort (as per instructions) and no action after 3 days... this current one was smacked, warmed up and pitched into LDME/Water mix.

As far as splitting I ususally would then use slurry for subsequent bews..

As far as the strains they were 1028 and 1272

A smack pack 5 - 6 months old will not have enough viability to pitch directly into full volume of wort.

I would be using a stepped starter to breed up the numbers before pitching.

Mr malty pitching calculator is a great tool, since using it for all my yeast procedures i have had heaps better results.

I'd say you'll still have some viability in there... just no where near as much as if it were a fresh pack. Looking at Mr Malty and assuming the production date was 6 months back... you've probably got 10% viability... no biggy, just don't expect that pitching to a full batch or even a 1 Litre starter is going to fire it up. I'd be looking at maybe a 100mL starter then stepping up to 1L (which would be about right for standard 1045OG batch.)

NEVER pitch your Wyeast pack before it's swollen - There is no point.
Letting the pack swell first will give you a good indication of viabillity by how long it takes. If it doesn't swell at all, it's stuffed & there's no point pitching it.

Cheers Ross

wow, I'm surprised aboout the amount of viable cells after 6 months.. I've now learnedededed something!

Here's a 1026 British Cask Ale I smacked 48 hours ago on Sunday afternoon. I'll be brewing something English this weekend to use it in, or maybe an Australian Ale. Manufactured September 2008. It's getting firm to the touch so should be fully swelled I'd expect by Thursday.

BC_Cask.jpg

BC_Cask_Side.jpg

Here's a 1026 British Cask Ale I smacked 48 hours ago on Sunday afternoon. I'll be brewing something English this weekend to use it in, or maybe an Australian Ale. Manufactured September 2008. It's getting firm to the touch so should be fully swelled I'd expect by Thursday.

View attachment 46223

View attachment 46224

the same yeast i smacked last week, but dated december 2010, took 4 days to swell, given your one is 2 years older, you are doing well

how do you plan on stepping it up ?

Latest posts

Back