Wyeast 3944

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
hi all,

i have put down a witbeir and it has been in the fermenter @ 20deg using wyeast 3944.

it has pulled up at 1016(consistent over 2 day) after 6 days..... i dont think i am putting this one into seconday, my question is has it attenuated as far as its gonna go or has anyone found this yeast may stall and get going again???

cheers

Whilst I haven't used this strain I'd suggest that it's probably done. That being said, leave it alone for another few days, maybe even a week. Give the yeast a chance to clean up after itself. What was the OG of the wit?

I think leaving it another week is only going to be good. :)

There was a thread about this recently. Apparently it slows down to a crawl at the end. Have a search, the post was made within the last fortnight and possibly within the last week.

My 3 experiences so far with 3944 did not finish until 3 weeks! My beers finished at 1.008, but my starting SG was lower than yours and I mashed lower. Still... 1.016 might not be quite there... If you can let it rest, give it another week. Give it a swirl as well perhaps.

Its a good yeast. My first Wit was too orange-y, but last 2 Wits were very very tasty...

cheers, Andrei

andrei,

what temp did you ferment it @? did you heat it up @ the end to help it finish?

My 3 experiences so far with 3944 did not finish until 3 weeks! My beers finished at 1.008, but my starting SG was lower than yours and I mashed lower. Still... 1.016 might not be quite there... If you can let it rest, give it another week. Give it a swirl as well perhaps.

Its a good yeast. My first Wit was too orange-y, but last 2 Wits were very very tasty...

cheers, Andrei

andrei,

what temp did you ferment it @? did you heat it up @ the end to help it finish?

I fermented at 20c, and when it was mostly done (after around 2 weeks), I upped the temp to 22c and gave the fermenter a good swirl almost every day. You could probably go even a little higher if you want to finish off.

I will be using much bigger starters with this yeast in future.

Andrei

Back