Wyeast 1084 Stalled Or Slow Ferm?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey all.
I put a guiness draught clone down 11 days ago, 0G 1049.
For 7 days i had it at 18deg, took a reading and its 1020, so i put it on the heat pad and its been sitting on 22/23deg for the last 4 days.
I just took another reading then and its still on bloody 1020... hmmmm...
i have gently rocked the carboy a few times over the last few days, but it doesnt seem to want to play cricket.
Is this yeast known to drag its heels? or are we done i ponder..

It was 3600g M/O, 1360g Flaked Barley, 450g Roast Barley, and 100g Oats. I also soured some commercial Guiness and added it to the boil.
56g EKG. /60m. Mashed at 65deg.

Any tips/ideas? cheers

I've used 1084 before with no issue. However I have found some UK yeasts ferment like a crazy man at the beginning then slow right down at about 1030 - 1020. I usually rack at 1020 anyway and I have found this is often enough to kickstart (along with the usual swirly warmy things).

i love this yeast but yes it does stall and stooge, one day a krausen the next a pond, i would rack, salvage good yeast, starter and pitch. Nothing worse than an unattenuated dark beer.

the hydro sample tastes great, very close to the real deal, but im not going to be keen to bottle at 1020. Might give it a few more days.
As you said Mants, it went off its brain for 3 days, then millpond.

I have a Amber ale doing the same thing actually, it was 1050, sitting at 1016 now, used us-05 with it, and i think its finished but will give it few more days as well.

the hydro sample tastes great, very close to the real deal, but im not going to be keen to bottle at 1020. Might give it a few more days.
As you said Mants, it went off its brain for 3 days, then millpond.

I have a Amber ale doing the same thing actually, it was 1050, sitting at 1016 now, used us-05 with it, and i think its finished but will give it few more days as well.

Sounds good Jiggy....

BTW whens me promised visit to Chappo Land? ;)

I'm outta beer and was hoping to skunge a few of those crook brews (wink wink) :p

Sounds good Jiggy....

BTW whens me promised visit to Chappo Land? ;)

I'm outta beer and was hoping to skunge a few of those crook brews (wink wink) :p

I am due for another bris trip one of these days... the mrs is ready to drop our 3rd any day now, so it might be on hold for a while.
Though of course, head wetting beers FTW!
Even making a batch of port.. arent i a fancy *******!

I am due for another bris trip one of these days... the mrs is ready to drop our 3rd any day now, so it might be on hold for a while.
Though of course, head wetting beers FTW!
Even making a batch of port.. arent i a fancy *******!

Man up Jiggy! C'mon she can't run that fast after ya with 3 ruggies around her ankles ;) :lol:

Might take ya up for a few beers...ahem... :rolleyes: to wet the babies head of course...

Man up Jiggy! C'mon she can't run that fast after ya with 3 ruggies around her ankles ;) :lol:

Might take ya up for a few beers...ahem... :rolleyes: to wet the babies head of course...

I was just wishing we could hold hands down the back yard like we did that night.. with just the moonlight around us, few quiet stouts, staring into each others eyes, getting lost in the passion that is home brew... errrrr........ :lol:

But yeah, i am keen to get some bulk grain off rossco in the future, so i certainly will let ya know mate, i should have quite a selection of grog for you to try by then..

I was just wishing we could hold hands down the back yard like we did that night.. with just the moonlight around us, few quiet stouts, staring into each others eyes, getting lost in the passion that is home brew... errrrr........ :lol:

You said you would never tell :( :lol:

You said you would never tell :( :lol:

I cant keep every secret, i was just so impressed at what you could do with your tongue... bwhahahah... oh dear :icon_vomit:

I cant keep every secret, i was just so impressed at what you could do with your tongue... bwhahahah... oh dear :icon_vomit:

:lol:

1084 is a lazy fooker Jiggy. Let it sit for a while it's what I do (whic may not be right for some purists). I don't bother stirrin' and arousing it as I have found it will achieve sweet "F" all. It'll do its thing... eventually. <_<

I've used 1084 before with no issue. However I have found some UK yeasts ferment like a crazy man at the beginning then slow right down at about 1030 - 1020. I usually rack at 1020 anyway and I have found this is often enough to kickstart (along with the usual swirly warmy things).
I hear you! I Have been using the Wyeast London Ale 3 (#1318), a lot lately and it every time it seems to go in hard the first few days then slows right back taking around 10 days before it finally finishes up.

I've come to the conclusion that with the beers I've had trouble fermenting out fully it has been due to not aerating it enough, sparving the yeast of oxygen to do their thing. Especially tricky for massive belgiums or any other high OG beer. Just shaking the fermenter doesn't seem to be enough at times and probably only barely enough for all the others, so the potential is there for much healthier yeast throughout the duration of the fermentation, resulting in better flavour and beer.

I've tried the aqurium pump and aeration stone a few times but was not impressed. The aqurium pump just doesn't have the pressure to really be efficient.

I've been thinking about the problem and what would be the best and cheapest way to ensure sufficient aeration of the wort and I've decided to by this aerator from www.morebeer.com in the states, see link;
http://morebeer.com/view_product/16614/102...y_with_no_Barbs

To provide the air and pressure to aerate the wort through the aeration stone I'll buy a cheap air compressor from supercheap auto, I have a spare filter housing and some water sediment filters that I'll use to filter the air before injected into the wort. They are of a solid foam (polypropylene cartridge) construction that should handle the low pressure that I'll use from the compressor.

I figure for the $200-300 spent to aerate properly ever time and never have another beer come up short again will be money well spent in the long run.

I hear you! I Have been using the Wyeast London Ale 3 (#1318), a lot lately and it every time it seems to go in hard the first few days then slows right back taking around 10 days before it finally finishes up.

Used 1318 a few times now and this is the particular yeast I had in mind when I wrote that. I've experienced it with other UK yeasts too but that one does it every time. Fantastic top cropper though.

I ferment 1084 at 23 to 24 degrees and it finishes cleanly in about 3 to 4 days. You get up one morning and it looks like a millpond as described above. Hasn't let me down yet. Guinness allow their yeast to rise to around 24, I've heard on several forums that 1084 may be related. Begorrah.

I ferment 1084 at 23 to 24 degrees and it finishes cleanly in about 3 to 4 days. You get up one morning and it looks like a millpond as described above. Hasn't let me down yet. Guinness allow their yeast to rise to around 24, I've heard on several forums that 1084 may be related. Begorrah.

You have to remember that Guinness ferments in massive containers where the high head pressure reduces the formation of esters so they can get away with higher ferment temps, at least that is my understanding of it.

This bloody stout still hasnt dropped under 1020, tried everything.
It tastes bloody awesome from the hydro sample, not sweet and spot on, so im going to bottle.
If i put a half charge of sugar in each tallie that should reduce ths risk of bottle bombs? Also, has anyone used black jelly beans to prime??
cheers

To provide the air and pressure to aerate the wort through the aeration stone I'll buy a cheap air compressor from supercheap auto, I have a spare filter housing and some water sediment filters that I'll use to filter the air before injected into the wort. They are of a solid foam (polypropylene cartridge) construction that should handle the low pressure that I'll use from the compressor.

I figure for the $200-300 spent to aerate properly ever time and never have another beer come up short again will be money well spent in the long run.

Just thought i'd mention this Elton , i don't know what sort of compressor your wanting to buy but most air compressors don't use food grade oil to lubricate the piston and components and there would be a chance that these particles could make their way into your beer or worse your blood stream, i'd be very careful what you used to inject into your beer. I'm not sure what oxygen is worth to hire from BOC but if your going to spend $300 i'd probably go down that path.

Jigsaw - I 've had problems in the past with lazy wyeast 1968 yeast stopping at 1020 , racked to secondary and got to full attenuation, have you tried racking ? Obviously oxygenating with pure o2 would be the best solution but the cost involved stops a lot of us, thinking of going down this path one day. Just have to get it past the minister of war and finance.

Good luck

Just thought i'd mention this Elton , i don't know what sort of compressor your wanting to buy but most air compressors don't use food grade oil to lubricate the piston and components and there would be a chance that these particles could make their way into your beer or worse your blood stream, i'd be very careful what you used to inject into your beer. I'm not sure what oxygen is worth to hire from BOC but if your going to spend $300 i'd probably go down that path.

Jigsaw - I 've had problems in the past with lazy wyeast 1968 yeast stopping at 1020 , racked to secondary and got to full attenuation, have you tried racking ? Obviously oxygenating with pure o2 would be the best solution but the cost involved stops a lot of us, thinking of going down this path one day. Just have to get it past the minister of war and finance.

Good luck

How does oxygenating go that late in fermentation though (or is that not what you meant?)

Latest posts

Back