Winter Stout Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j1gsaw

Certified Pisswreck
Reaction score
Hey all.
I have been toying with the idea of brewing up a semi big stout for the upcoming cold wintery nights, and came up with this. Advice/criticism all welcome.

4.5kg MO
1.6kg Flaked Barley
400g Roast barley
100g Carafa 2
100g Black malt
150g oat malt
150g rolled oats.

70g EKG - 60m

*will sour about a litre of commercial guiness and add late to the boil*
Wy 1084.

Floor Malted MO I assume? If you want it cheaper, Perle works reasonably well.

What is the flaked barley for - just noticing that you are putting oats in it as well, not sure if 1.6kg is too much.

And 70g of EKG at 60 seems like it might be overkill. I personally have never used too much bittering in a stout, as I find the black/roasted grains provide it in a coffee-like format. But each to their own.

Just for your consideration, here are a number of adjuncts I've added into stouts in the past:

Treacle
Brown (and very brown) Sugar
Cardamom
Cloves (use sparingly or it becomes a sedative)
Star Anise
Cinnamon (well a Dark Ale with it)
Honey

I'm going to (once this weather cools/my electrician buddy decides to show up and fit my STC-1000) do an oatmeal stout, with 500g of malted oats and 100g of smoked malt, along with some Choc Pale malt.

The most recent trick I've applied to Dark Ales and Stouts is to mash high (like 72 degrees) and really keep that body thick and creamy, plus the alcohol is quite low (last Dark Ale was 3.9%, FG 1.022). It won't suit all, but I really liked it and could take it out and still drive home after a bottle.

Goomba

Floor Malted MO I assume? If you want it cheaper, Perle works reasonably well.

What is the flaked barley for - just noticing that you are putting oats in it as well, not sure if 1.6kg is too much.

And 70g of EKG at 60 seems like it might be overkill. I personally have never used too much bittering in a stout, as I find the black/roasted grains provide it in a coffee-like format. But each to their own.

Just for your consideration, here are a number of adjuncts I've added into stouts in the past:

Treacle
Brown (and very brown) Sugar
Cardamom
Cloves (use sparingly or it becomes a sedative)
Star Anise
Cinnamon (well a Dark Ale with it)
Honey

I'm going to (once this weather cools/my electrician buddy decides to show up and fit my STC-1000) do an oatmeal stout, with 500g of malted oats and 100g of smoked malt, along with some Choc Pale malt.

The most recent trick I've applied to Dark Ales and Stouts is to mash high (like 72 degrees) and really keep that body thick and creamy, plus the alcohol is quite low (last Dark Ale was 3.9%, FG 1.022). It won't suit all, but I really liked it and could take it out and still drive home after a bottle.

Goomba

Yes, Floor malted MO.
I used flaked barley in a guiness draught clone i brewed ages ago and it went very well, so i shall run it again. This beer will be a fairly heavy stout, want it 6% alc or more. The EKG addition is just food for thought, might run with just a 50/60g addition. I was also considering adding cocoa and choc to this beer as well. So many ideas :icon_cheers:

Yes, Floor malted MO.
I used flaked barley in a guiness draught clone i brewed ages ago and it went very well, so i shall run it again. This beer will be a fairly heavy stout, want it 6% alc or more. The EKG addition is just food for thought, might run with just a 50/60g addition. I was also considering adding cocoa and choc to this beer as well. So many ideas :icon_cheers:

Sounds good. Stout is one of those varieties that, if you aren't too anal about the style, can really lend itself to some interesting ingredients and variations. I find that the roastiness does hide some ingredients, but this also means that you are safe with most additions.

I'm tempted and have been for a long time to do a real hoppy addition - much like Ross's Obama Ale - hoppy, but dark. I don't know what variety of beer it would then become.

Goomba

*will sour about a litre of commercial guiness and add late to the boil*

I would be careful with this - consider growing up some lactobacillus rather than just leaving it out and it getting like the contents of your drip tray.

Latest posts

Back