Water Quality

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growler

Reaction score
On... Friday,

My local highly qualified council workers managed to sever my water main while attempting to change the stormwater drainage system in my street. It's a waterfall when we have the odd 250mm overnight rainfall (Not a uncommon occurrence in the tropics.)

The outcome was water the colour of red mud through the pipes for the last 2 days.

Usually my water is soft, low pH, fed staight from a pristine reservoir and crystal clear

Today, Brewday, I'm noticing lotsa fine bubbles in the system... the red mud has been mostly flushed out but I suspect they've done a bit of superclorination, just to be on the safe side....... Hope the yeasties can cope!!!

Oh well I'll know in 8 weeks ish??

And sorry to those brewers who have to cope wihtout any actual water... but mine comes out from the tap at 28c....2 lt iceblocks required for 20c start to brewing!.....

Growler

growler

On... Friday,

My local highly qualified council workers managed to sever my water main while attempting to change the stormwater drainage system in my street. It's a waterfall when we have the odd 250mm overnight rainfall (Not a uncommon occurrence in the tropics.)

The outcome was water the colour of red mud through the pipes for the last 2 days.

Usually my water is soft, low pH, fed staight from a pristine reservoir and crystal clear

Today, Brewday, I'm noticing lotsa fine bubbles in the system... the red mud has been mostly flushed out but I suspect they've done a bit of superclorination, just to be on the safe side....... Hope the yeasties can cope!!!

Oh well I'll know in 8 weeks ish??

And sorry to those brewers who have to cope wihtout any actual water... but mine comes out from the tap at 28c....2 lt iceblocks required for 20c start to brewing!.....

Growler

growler
Not sure if its too late Growler, if you can, for chlorine just let it sit in buckets for 24 - 48 hours and it should be sweet. Chlorine will degas, if that's what it is, and you'll smell it initially. I suspect it would actually clear after 10 minutes in which case its just moslty air. Grab a glassful, sit it on the bench for 10 mins, report clarity.
Chloramide is a different story though, but you won't see evidence of it now, maybe in the 8 weeks you would, but I just reckon you'd be arcing up before then.

The red mud I've been dealing with too with frequent breakages and installation works, a PITA and am sure it cost me a recent mixer tap replacement. Not much I can do though, bugger it... :angry:

Latest posts

Back