Was it me who killed the sewage plant?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
Story in the Manning River Times. Apparently over the last few years something has killed the culture at the sewage works, home brew being on the list. I flush my yeast cakes down ye shitter or the laundry sink.

I've been here a few years. :blink:

Maybe? San Diego Superyeast beats the shyte out of the wimpy little sewage bugs. I suppose there could be fermentables in the raw sewage with people flushing food waste down the pipes as well.

I've decided to boil my yeast cake before flushing. Good citizenship.
Of course who knows what they understand to be "home brew"

Anyone on the forum in the sewage business?

I would guess paint or chemical or pesticide before I blamed your San Diego super yeast.
They should find it fairly quickly.

I know here in SA they have people whose job it is to constantly monitor the waste from drains.

I worked at a place where the boss insisted we flush welding/soldering flux down the toilet. over the years i was there i must have flushed a metric shit-tonne.

yes bribie it was you I'm just about to make the call and tip off the authorities.
just kidding its more likely the housos up there flushing their stashes before the cops can come in.

Bribie G said:
Story in the Manning River Times. Apparently over the last few years something has killed the culture at the sewage works, home brew being on the list. I flush my yeast cakes down ye shitter or the laundry sink.

I've been here a few years. :blink:

Maybe? San Diego Superyeast beats the shyte out of the wimpy little sewage bugs. I suppose there could be fermentables in the raw sewage with people flushing food waste down the pipes as well.

I've decided to boil my yeast cake before flushing. Good citizenship.
Of course who knows what they understand to be "home brew"

Anyone on the forum in the sewage business?
Nah,it's a s#%^ job that pays s#%^ wages and the boss is a turd,actually could the problem be that your yeast flushing is causing turds to mutate.
If heard of the movie Attack of the killer tomatoes ......

Couldn't resist. ;)

So if the treatment is organic then its sanitizers that can be the only problem. Organic killers. Here's a simple mentality and epiphany too. All what you use and discard as water then tip it on your lawns and garden. Or should you not because its toxic? There ya go..

Ever since I've been tipping beer waste and yeast cakes etc into compost piles I have an incredible free worm farm. That compost munches down with a few thousand worms partying out and turn it all into garden health.

The only threat home brew could add is bad shit chemicals tipped down the drain. All the organic stuff is fine but why waste it tipping it down your sink????

Yeast slurry is really good for your septic system. I used to pour my slurry from the ferm straight into the septic tank. Tank never smelt and always looked somewhat clean

Have spoken to drivers of poo trucks and they also said the same thing about yeast in septics

you can GTP if you want to read stuff about adding yeast to your poo system

I was told to tip 2 litres of sour milk in our new septic to get the bugs started not sure if it worked but now it gets all yeast cakes from the fermenter cant be a bad thing.

no point worrying about your civic duty.
send 'em a ransom note -
gimme $1m or i make more beer.
either way, you'll win. :D

Danscraftbeer said:
So if the treatment is organic then its sanitizers that can be the only problem. Organic killers. Here's a simple mentality and epiphany too. All what you use and discard as water then tip it on your lawns and garden. Or should you not because its toxic? There ya go..

Ever since I've been tipping beer waste and yeast cakes etc into compost piles I have an incredible free worm farm. That compost munches down with a few thousand worms partying out and turn it all into garden health.

The only threat home brew could add is bad shit chemicals tipped down the drain. All the organic stuff is fine but why waste it tipping it down your sink????
Awesome, I run three compost "piles", gonna start dumping my slurries on that instead of down the drain.

I'm pretty sure it's the result of your curries Bribie.

haha
They should import their next lot of microorganisms from the Punjab.

Hmm... pissed worms sounds like the go, I already bury my kitchen scraps and eggshells.

Latest posts

Back