Warming up no-chill & adding oxygen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
When warming up no-chill cubes, do you just pour it into the fermenter and heat it up with a belt per normal to get to a yeast pitching temp? Or leave it in the cube next to a heater?

And then when mixing to add oxygen, do you do that before warming, when warm but immediately before adding yeast or after adding yeast?

I put the cube in the fermenting fridge the day before or so, then pour into fermenter via strainer to filter hops and break, also oxygenate a far amount (not as much as pure O2 of course)

Try not to overthink it. Warm the cube before you expose the wort to airborne pathogens.

I put the cube in my house a few days before I want to pitch. It's already at around 16-18c which is an acceptable temperature to pitch any ale. Better to pitch a few degrees low and warm than pitch above target and cool.

Oxygenate right before you pitch.

colder wort will absorb O2 better, though.
You'll get closer to 8ppm at a faster rate, but there is a ceiling on how much 02 will dissolve and this is dependent on techniques used. But how much faster 02 will absorb into solution, using typical methods homebrewers use, I haven't been to find the answer to in the literature I have access to.

Perhaps someone may be able to give that information.

I oxygenate after pitching. Reasons being: I pressure ferment and the fermenter never gets opened after that. So fill, pitch, seal, oxygenate by injecting o2 to ~7psi and shake vigorously. Then extract some wort from a hose on a disconect for the hydrometer. The other reason is if you make a big starter then it may alter the OG. I rather the OG measured with the yeast starter added. That's maybe pedantic.
Also I cant point to the reference but I remember some expert raising the point about pitching first then oxygenate for healthy yeast.
I cant think there is any pro's or cons either way though.

Latest posts

Back