Stout Recommendation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo__04

Reaction score
Hey all,

Another quick recipe question.

My dad loves his stout. I know bugger all about stouts. It's not my thing. But im going to make a 12 L brew for him.

I don't know much except I know he likes coopers stout.

Can anyone recommend a recipe along that style?

Thanks again!

A tin of Coopers Stout
A tin of Coopers Dark Ale
Both Kit yeast or a decent yeast like Nottingham

Always makes a pretty good warm sit around for me

FWIW I think it's lovely to see someone calling them tins.

I'm guilty of caving in to the can demands, but back to tins is where I should be going.

Good on you!

A tin of Coopers Stout
A tin of Coopers Dark Ale
Both Kit yeast or a decent yeast like Nottingham

Always makes a pretty good warm sit around for me

In 12L? Hardcore.

One of those tins in 12L should do it. It will be the equivalent of the two-can enuun suggested. I'd use the dark as the stout will be eff-off bitter at that concentration. It should produce a decent drop. Toohey's Dark cans also produce a good drop, a two-can (ie one full can in 12L) would be good too.

If you want to fancy it up you can add some specialty grain and flavouring hops. I don't know that much about those so take this with a grain of salt (hopefully someone who knows more can help) but I'd go with a spicy, rather than fruity, hop, Northern Brewer was recently suggested to me. But... if your old man likes the Coopers range you could use an American hop like galaxy or centennial, or even pride of ringwood (ewww). For spec grains some light choc and a bit of crystal. Or maybe even dark choc for that stout roastiness. I'd be guessing at quantities, but I'd say no more than 1g/L hops for flavour and careful of the roast grain, it can be overpowering (50g in 12L sound right to people?). Maybe 100g of crystal, and 10g of hops @ 15 minute if you need a recipe, but like I said, that's a noobish guestimate.

Tanga is pretty much on the money..

Id go something like this

200g of some kind of light crystal - JW caramalt
50g of roasted barley
steep this for 20min in a couple of L of 70C water strain, bring to the liquid to the boil add some finishing hops and turn it off, i would go for something like Willamette , fuggles or maybe even styrian goldings.

Add your can of Dark ale and around 200g of DEX or some kind of sugaz, top up to your desired 12L, should see you with a OG around 1055 and 46IBU

If your old man likes coopers stout consider buying a couple pale ale stubbies and reculturing the yeast, plenty of info on here about that and you wont need to culture that much up for a 12L batch, it will make a huge difference.
Ferment at 18C

Hey all,

Another quick recipe question.

My dad loves his stout. I know bugger all about stouts. It's not my thing. But im going to make a 12 L brew for him.

I don't know much except I know he likes coopers stout.

Can anyone recommend a recipe along that style?

Thanks again!

Are you a K&K brewer or AG Neo? K&K can't go past the Coopers Stout.
AG, 75% Ale, 10% Black/Roasted, 10% Crystal (Dark or Brown) and 5% Wheat or Oats.
Bitter to 30-40 IBU at 60min with Goldings or Willamette possibly add 1g/L at 15mins if you like for a little hop flavour.

Drew

I would brew the one ennun suggested except make it to 23L. It ages well, so maybe just leave it out the back for when he comes back to have some more. When I brewed this I found it to be extremely close to the Coopers Stout.

I love the Coopers Stout and if I have to buy beer that seems to be the one I would go for.

The stout/dark toucan is a sure bet, but fill to around 19L. Seriously, why make 12L when you can make 19-23L right?
Just be prepared for a volatile krausen - eg dripping off the sides.

For something a little smoother I made this a few years back.
Windsor Stout
Coopers Stout kit
1.5kg Morgans Dark Malt can - (or 1kg DDME)
110g Roast Barley (steep 30min)
15g Styrian Goldings @60min
15g Styrian Goldings @10min
Danstar Windsor yeast

This one scored a 2nd or 3rd a few years ago at the Castle Hill comp.

Latest posts

Back