Stainless Fermenters

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tap is plastic and a touch flimsy in my opinion. It works fine but long term I'll be looking for something to replace it.

clio said:
The tap is plastic and a touch flimsy in my opinion. It works fine but long term I'll be looking for something to replace it.
OK cheers, I want to go stainless fermenters but I'm having trouble deciding on what type.

I hear national home brew have some good ones. Even got the Cocko and Screwy Seal of Approval.

I havent changed my tap... dont plan to at this stage. Sure a SS one would be cool but there is nothing wrong with them, once you are use to the instant high flow rate.

On phone.

Same tap has been used on something like 10,000 boilers around the world that get exposed to boiling temperatures on a regular basis. Many of those have been in service for over 4 years without issues. I don't anticipate too many problems.

Martin

To be clear - I love this fermenter. The tap is fine but it would be my first (and only) mod - that's all.

I skipped the plastic fermenters altogether. Plastic residues and greases are always there, hence why making a pavlova in a plastic mixing bowl is a no-no. Glass or steel only. That is my logic anyway for tending toward a steel option.

There will be handles on future ones
Hey Martin,

Any idea when those "Improved" Mangrove Jacks ss fermenters will arrive?
Am waiting patiently impatiently. :p

Edit --- Going by Cocko's post somewhere above those (supplied) taps seem to work in a similar manner to the "snap-taps" that have been around forever. Are they as well made do you reckon?

TidalPete said:
Hey Martin,

Edit --- Going by Cocko's post somewhere above those (supplied) taps seem to work in a similar manner to the "snap-taps" that have been around forever. Are they as well made do you reckon?
Not at this stage Pete.

have had 1 leaking tap, which has since been replaced under warranty.

TidalPete said:
Hey Martin,

FFS! Who cares about this really. SS fermenters are "SS Fermenters" I use the harness. Two harness handles lifting 27odd Kg same as lifting 27odd Kg using SS handles.......................So??

Replace the farking taps with whatever you would if you where setting up a micro brewery and could only source stainless tanks. AKA: SS Ballvalves.

Screwy,

Grump, grump!!!

I suppose beer is beer then. No point discussing the ins and outs of the brewing process hey?

dicko said:
I am waiting for the model with handles :)
So am I Geoff, I've been brewing for over 30 years in plastic, waiting a little longer for handles is worth it IMO.

When they do arrive I'll be in the market for several of them.

Batz

Fishing_zps36f03ab4.gif

Wait for the handle version...then replace said handles with these beauties.

Who doesn't want a Roccoco fermenter ? No one, that's who !

images-1.jpeg

I tried to have some threaded inserts welded in, but the local S.S. Welder said it was too thin vs the threaded pipe.

I was a bit disappointed, as I wanted to put a "normal" s.steel tap on.

Guess i'll just go weldless fittings instead.

I can't find the post at the moment but I thought the tap could be replaced

As soon as i hear anything further about the handles i'll post it here. Not exactly happy with this design oversight, but not expecting them any time soon.

M

HBHB said:
As soon as i hear anything further about the handles i'll post it here. Not exactly happy with this design oversight, but not expecting them any time soon.

M
Given that the present MJ ss fermenter is "handleless" so to speak at $155.0 & that a carry harness is almost an extra $20.00, I'd be keen to know the (approximate) cost of a MJ's with handles when they turn up?

Hope I haven't caused your old ticker any stress Martin? :p

Screwy,
I'm sure that your ss ball valve\pickup tube combo works well for you mate but due to the constraints of my fermenting fridge setup I'd hesitate before having something that long sticking out of my fermenter. :icon_cheers:
Is there any such a thing as a ss ball valve, male one end male & the other end female??? I have absolutely no idea so just asking. :unsure:

Back