Sg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourlambs

Reaction score
Hi All,

First time poster.....

The last two kits i have brewed have had an issue where the SG won't get down to 1000... the recent one is Coopers Canadian Blonde [with Brew Enhancer 1 used] and has only come down to 1022 from 1045 a week ago.

Its been a warmish is week [Melbourne] so should be warm enough. Just wondering if this is common when using dextrin, as i've never seen this issue using sugar i don;t believe.

All help appreciated.....

Regards Phil

You won't get it down to 1000 (and it would be quite thin and lifeless if you did).

If the brew enhancer contains malt extract and/or maltodextrin, expect it to finish higher than straight sugar.

1 week isn't long enough to be concerned. I'd say it's got a bit to go yet. See how she moves over the next few days and be patient with it.

Hi All,

First time poster.....

The last two kits i have brewed have had an issue where the SG won't get down to 1000... the recent one is Coopers Canadian Blonde [with Brew Enhancer 1 used] and has only come down to 1022 from 1045 a week ago.

Its been a warmish is week [Melbourne] so should be warm enough. Just wondering if this is common when using dextrin, as i've never seen this issue using sugar i don;t believe.

All help appreciated.....

Regards Phil

If it gets down to an FG of 1.000 then it'll be as thin as distilled water. Not what a beer should be and not very enjoyable at all.

It'll finish at around 1.010 or thereabouts.

Considering that just about all kits are sold with a 5 or 7 gram pack of ALE yeast (for temperature tolerance, regardless of whether it's an Ale or a Lager) and the correct pitch rate for a yeast in a 23 litre batch is around 22-25 grams, then you'll need to be patient for a few more days.

Hope this helps.
Martin

Considering that just about all kits are sold with a 5 or 7 gram pack of ALE yeast (for temperature tolerance, regardless of whether it's an Ale or a Lager) and the correct pitch rate for a yeast in a 23 litre batch is around 22-25 grams, then you'll need to be patient for a few more days.

A lot of the kit yeasts in the coopers range are actually a combination of Ale and Lager strains.

Correct pitch rate for 23lt of average strength ale is not 22-25grams. It is closer to 11-12g meaning one packet is good.
Correct pitch rate for 23lt of average strength lager is 22-25g.

A lot of the kit yeasts in the coopers range are actually a combination of Ale and Lager strains.

Correct pitch rate for 23lt of average strength ale is not 22-25grams. It is closer to 11-12g meaning one packet is good.
Correct pitch rate for 23lt of average strength lager is 22-25g.

Quite correct Nath ....... Don't mind me, i'm having a "numpty" day.

The Canadian Blonde is packaged with the Coopers Ale yeast.

Cheers,
Martin

All,

Thanks very much for the feedback... 3 days later and the brew is still sitting at 1020 - 1022 ish.... so i plan to bottle on the weekend... fingers crossed she'll be right!

Am i hearing that its worth buying an alternative yeast to add to these kits and at a higher level?

Phil

The alternative yeast already comes in 11g ish packs. And that is ale yeast, so it's right there. And yeah, get better yeast. Better still, Ben malt extract and boil it yourself and add your own hops etc. It's not as time consuming and involved as all grain brewing but does take the 1 Hr or so to boil the hops in the malt solution. Btw, hops don't come in a tin. That's extra.
Kinda puts those kits in perspective as how the heck are they that much cheaper!

S'pose that was a lot of un-asked for information. Well, there's lots you can improve, all of them by themselves will improve your beer by some fraction.

3 days later and the brew is still sitting at 1020 - 1022 ish.... so i plan to bottle on the weekend... fingers crossed she'll be right!

I wouldn't.....

the idea of 3 or so days of the same reading is only relevant if it's within an expected / reasonable range for your recipe.

If your recipe consists of 1 can of goo, plus a pack of brew enhancer, then 1.020 is not finished. Not even close to being finished. It is stalled. Or the reading is incorrect.

I wouldn't even think about bottling it yet.

That article that manticle linked above, is a cracker. Plenty of tips to try, and will greatly reduce the risk of something going bang in someone's face. You don't want that.

Read the article, try all the hints about fast ferment testing, re-starting a stalled ferment etc, and then come back to this thread when you've exhausted your options. I bet the answer to your problem is in that article.

Best of luck,

Nath

All,

Thanks very much for the feedback... 3 days later and the brew is still sitting at 1020 - 1022 ish.... so i plan to bottle on the weekend... fingers crossed she'll be right!

Am i hearing that its worth buying an alternative yeast to add to these kits and at a higher level?

Phil

Are you rehydrating the yeast? what temp are you fermenting at?

Hi all,

Now nearly 2.5 weeks in the barrel, and i added an extra 7g yeast last Friday. It bubbled away for a while and the SG is now down to around 1018.

I am close to giving up :kooi:

Should i bottle it or dump it?

Phil

its moved it would of taken about 2 days for the yeast to kick off so a few point in day or 2 isnt bad let it sit you might get more out of it. Plus wait for it to clear out some more before you bottle. Id wait till this friday before I thought about bottling if its still at 1018 bottle if its dropped more you may have to leave it a little longer

Should i bottle it or dump it?

Phil

just to cross this off the list like... but what does your hydrometer read in 20'c water? also whats the coldest the brew has got? I presume you do not have temp control?

importantly.. how does it taste to you?

Keep at it mate..

i checked the hydrometer in 20 water and it reads 1000, so no issues.

The barrel has been at around 20 - 22'c all two weeks, lowest around 18'.c

It tastes fine, not sweet and still bubbles a little as i fill the test tube...

Phil

this being the case I would be trying a fast ferment test on a hydrometer sample, take a tube, warm it up and shake the shit out of it every few hours, if it gets going again you know you need to rouse the yeast and warm it up a bit. (sunny window ledge or some such warm location)

Ive found that with packet yeast the 1020 mark (or there abouts) is where they will tend to stall if they are going to, I often ferment at about 17'c but will slowly ramp up temps to about 20 once I get to the magic number and since Ive been doing this Ive rarely had a batch stall but in saying this I do have temp control so this process is quite easy for me...

Yob

Well..... after only a week in the bottle i could not resist the temptation to taste, and i must say that i am very happy!

It was finally bottled at around 1012.

Thanks to all....Phil

Latest posts

Back