Scales for malt weighing?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheapish set of scales suitable for weighing my bill. Doesn't need to do the whole thing obviously, but even just 1 or 2 kilo at a time would be good. Seeing a few on ebay but the tray footprint doesn't look that big and hoping to be able to sit a reasonable sized bucket on it to pour my grains in.

By the time you get a set of scales of any size useful for home brewing (as you note, grain takes up a lot of space), they will weigh plenty of grain for most brewers needs. So just grab a big set and be done with it.

But don't try to get one set of scales that does everything. Get a set of scales for grain, and a smaller precision set (accurate to 1g or better) for doing hops and so on.

You can find a set of 40kg digital kitchens scales for around $40 - $50 that will make life a lot easier when weighing out grain.
Doubles up for keg filling duties too.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheapish set of scales suitable for weighing my bill. Doesn't need to do the whole thing obviously, but even just 1 or 2 kilo at a time would be good. Seeing a few on ebay but the tray footprint doesn't look that big and hoping to be able to sit a reasonable sized bucket on it to pour my grains in.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2764435...ar=578990809108&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I bought one of these been great for kegs and grain

For grain bills I use a cheap 5 kg Retro Scale from K-Mart. Its dial face is marked in 100g increments. I have checked it using known weights and found it quite accurate on those marks. In between you have to interpolate, and error up to 10-15 g is likely.

Not useable for small weights of hops. Re digital readouts my hop scale has one and is often several grammes off. Others do better.

No, I'm not a Luddite. I've worked in various labs.

Go onto eBay or similar and search for 50kg Digital Postal Scale. Mine was branded TODO. Excellent and accurate scale. The screen is large and is separate to the scale and is attached by it's cable, so you can have the scale sitting on the ground and position the screen so you can see how much grain you are pouring into your bucket.

You can find a set of 40kg digital kitchens scales for around $40 - $50 that will make life a lot easier when weighing out grain.
Doubles up for keg filling duties too.

Yes the large shop scales are good but they are a bit bulky and if you are doing single batches then probably smaller scales are fine. For instance these ones are smaller and will do up to 10kg which is enough for most people doing single or double batches.

I should say the larger shop scales do have the advantage that they are fairly useful for filling stainless kegs. It makes it much easier to fill on scales.

Back