RecipeDB - Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score

Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale

Ale - English Pale Ale
All Grain
* * * * * 46 Votes

Brewer's Notes

30gm 0 min = added 10 mins after flame out & steeped for 20 mins before chilling. Yeast = Dried US-56.
Mashed cool at 64c final gravity 1010 = 5.2% Alc.
This is the basis for all my Summer ales - A great way to really test a single hop variety.

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4.5 kg Bairds Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt
0.4 kg TF Torrefied Wheat

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
30 g Nelson Sauvin (Pellet, 12.7AA%, 0mins)
20 g Nelson Sauvin (Pellet, 12.7AA%, 5mins)
15 g Nelson Sauvin (Pellet, 12.7AA%, 80mins)
15 g Nelson Sauvin (Pellet, 12.7AA%, 20mins)

Yeast

12 g DCL Yeast US-05 - American Ale
23L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.05 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.013 (calc)
  • Bitterness 40.8 IBU
  • Efficiency 75%
  • Alcohol 4.81%
  • Colour 8 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 7 days
  • Secondary 7 days

yes that is correct.

Sorry for the ignorance - at the start of the mash or what?

What exactly does this do, I would assume it would impart some flavour and a lot of bitterness?

Sorry for the ignorance - at the start of the mash or what?

What exactly does this do, I would assume it would impart some flavour and a lot of bitterness?

I've never tried mash hopping myself. I know that Pat Casey up at Blue Mountains Home Brewing does a lot of mash hopping, and his beers taste great.

The original recipe was made with mash hops - yes, added at beggining of mash.
Having made a 100% mash hopped beer I can confirm I'd NEVER bother with mash hopping again. A total waste of hops IMHO.
Adds virtually nothing to the brew in the way of flavour, aroma or bitterness. I'll update the recipe to remove.

Cheers Ross

Simply add it at the start of the mash.

It does seem to add some bitterness, but not as harsh as adding to the boil mainly because much of the hop material remains behind in the mash and doesn't go through to the boil which makes it ideal for high alpha hops like POR and I assume Nelson savin which I will be trying for the first time myself next brew day including a mash hop addition.

When I first heard about "Mash hopping" I was told it was mainly for improved aroma, but I just havent found this to be the case.
It works well for smooth bittering and flavour and programs such as promash will give a IBU figure for it, but again I treat it as a nominal guess.

Cheers
BB

Thanks all,

AHB comes thrgh with the goods in quick time again :wub:

Kinda new to AG here, wondering why this recipe says to use the pellets at 0 mins instead of the flowers as used for the other additions?

Kinda new to AG here, wondering why this recipe says to use the pellets at 0 mins instead of the flowers as used for the other additions?

Just a typo...has been fixed now :)

cheers Ross

Ross,

does the Torrified Wheat need to be cooked first or is it already gelatinised? Planning on doing this Sunday.

Torrified wheat has been converted you just need to crack and add straight to the mash

If I wanted to sub the torrified wheat for wheat malt, how much malt should be used instead.. about the same amount?

If I wanted to sub the torrified wheat for wheat malt, how much malt should be used instead.. about the same amount?

From what I can find in Promash Torrified Wheat is around 1.035 potential SG and Wyermans Wheat is 1.038, so I guess it would be a straight substitution.

I am looking at doing this one in a few weeks and was wondering if any more hops should be added when using pellets. Seems Ross and my LHBS don't curently have flowers.

BYB

I had done this yesterday and turned out pretty dark after the boil? Is this normal and will it clear up later on?

I am looking at doing this one in a few weeks and was wondering if any more hops should be added when using pellets. Seems Ross and my LHBS don't curently have flowers.

BYB

I believe you will get better utilisation from using pellets than you will from using flowers i.e. More IBU's from the same weight of hops. The rule of thumb, I'm led to believe, is about 10%. So the answer is no, technically you don't need as many

I believe you will get better utilisation from using pellets than you will from using flowers i.e. More IBU's from the same weight of hops. The rule of thumb, I'm led to believe, is about 10%. So the answer is no, technically you don't need as many

If this is the case, has anyone used pellets for this recipe and if so how did it turn out?

BYB

If this is the case, has anyone used pellets for this recipe and if so how did it turn out?

BYB

Have a keg of this on tap at the moment mate. Used pellets. Feel free to drop in and have a try. I think it turned out pretty good.

Cheers

HK

Back