RecipeDB - Geoff's Premium lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Geoff's Premium lager

Lager - German Pilsner
All Grain
- - - - -

Brewer's Notes

30 min protien rest at 55°C
90 minute mash at 66°C
Fremented in June with an average temp of about 14
Saflager W34/70 yeast. Final SG should be about 1.010 at bottling

Malt & Fermentables

% KG Fermentable
4 kg JWM Export Pilsner
0.5 kg Weyermann Carahell

Hops

Time Grams Variety Form AA
50 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 60mins)
20 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 15mins)
15 g Saaz (Czech) (Pellet, 4.0AA%, 5mins)
10 g Pride of Ringwood (Pellet, 9.0AA%, 60mins)
25L Batch Size

Brew Details

• Original Gravity 1.044 (calc)
  • Final Gravity 1.014 (calc)
  • Bitterness 36.4 IBU
  • Efficiency 80%
  • Alcohol 3.88%
  • Colour 8 EBC

Fermentation

• Primary 14 days
  • Secondary 60 days
  • Conditioning 52 days

Looking to make this for a house warming soon and was looking for thoughts on an alternative yeast to use as I haven't gotten around to buying a fridgemate to control fermentation temps.

Wondering if anyone knows of a good alternative that can handle the slightly higher temps. Anything other than us-05 as I have used it a million time lately and am looking for a change.

Cheers

Angry

Looking to make this for a house warming soon and was looking for thoughts on an alternative yeast to use as I haven't gotten around to buying a fridgemate to control fermentation temps.

Wondering if anyone knows of a good alternative that can handle the slightly higher temps. Anything other than us-05 as I have used it a million time lately and am looking for a change.

Cheers

Angry
I've heard of people using s189 swiss lager at ale temps and getting good results. Not done it personally though...
Another question, how big is you fridge that you want to put the fridgemate on? I can fit one fermenter in the fridge I use for beer and I have found that at its warmest setting it will keep a fermenting lager at 10 or so degrees and then not chill it further...

I've heard of people using s189 swiss lager at ale temps and getting good results. Not done it personally though...
Another question, how big is you fridge that you want to put the fridgemate on? I can fit one fermenter in the fridge I use for beer and I have found that at its warmest setting it will keep a fermenting lager at 10 or so degrees and then not chill it further...

Intend to use a 350L fridge as the fermenting fridge once we buy a new one. Already have the keg fridge going but obviously having magnificent cold beer on tap takes precedent at the moment :icon_drool2:

Maybe lager yeasts will have to wait for the fridge/fridgemate.

Any other Ale yeasts (that isn't us-05) that will make a decent drop from these ingredients?

Try Wyeast 2112.

From the Wyeast website:

YEAST STRAIN: 2112 | California Lager

Particularly suited for producing 19th century-style West Coast beers. Retains lager characteristics at temperatures up to 65 F, (18 C) and produces malty, brilliantly clear beers. This strain is not recommended for cold temperature fermentation.

Origin:
Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 67-71%
Temperature Range: 58-68 F (14-20 C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 9% ABV

C&B
TDA

How does that 30min protein rest effect your head retention? As I do not suffer with chill haze, maybe due to the fact I use Gelatine when I keg, I have no need to protein rest, and as a result I get huge head :eek:

Steve

How does that 30min protein rest effect your head retention? As I do not suffer with chill haze, maybe due to the fact I use Gelatine when I keg, I have no need to protein rest, and as a result I get huge head :eek:

Steve

No issues with head retention - I keep records of the head retention of each batch by timing how long the head lasts in a 570 ml glass - this batch scored a 35 minutes plus until the first hole in the head appeared ( the plus is because it still had a head when I finished it 35 min later).
Have always used a 30 min protein rest for Joe white pilsner malt. Probably due to the influence Dave Miller and his "complete handbook of home brewing" has had on my brewing.
:D

Geoff D

Back