RecipeDB - Crispy Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, with using the rice:
- cook rice day before
- drain??? and refrigerate. Should one rinse out starches or anything?
- Simply add to mash from there on.

Interested in doing this on a partial scale, so am wondering whether it would be okay to mash a 50-50 rice/malt mix, which will make up about 30% of the fermentables. (Allow extra mash time?)

So, with using the rice:
- cook rice day before

Interested in doing this on a partial scale, so am wondering whether it would be okay to mash a 50-50 rice/malt mix, which will make up about 30% of the fermentables. (Allow extra mash time?)
Exactly and no rinse IMO. Should be easy to do a partial.

DiscoStu you might have to make the ratio 20% rice to 80% base malt grain to get the conversion of the rice to work. IIRC it is a 1:5 ratio? Maybe someone more knowledge at their finger tips could confirm? And a 60min nash is best to convert the rice. Protein rest is manditory.

I would be deadset interested to hear how this turns out DS?

Cheers

Chappo

All I did for the rice was cook it on the stove until it was well and truely gluggy, then left it with the lid on while I crushed the grains and prepared the mash water etc. I think that next time I'd cook it further as it wasn't 100% soft when I added it to the mash and may have had some starches remain (had a lot of haze to begin with, see the Polyclar thread).

Here's a pic of it now, thought since it's such a nice afternoon I might have a glass or two :)

lager_crown_1.jpg

Not my particular bowl of rice (boom boom :p ), but jeebus mate, that clarity is amazing....

edit: two questions noone seems to have asked....how long was the mash, and how did it end up on the FG?

Not normally my cup of tea either, but it's for a competition (QAAWBG). Out of the random draw from the local homebrew club I managed to get Aussie Lager, something of which I've never brewed before.

I did a 20min protein mash at 50c and then a 60min mash @ 63. I can't find my notes as to what the FG was, BeerSmith estimated 1.013 but I'm sure it was around 1.010.

The clarity is largely due to Polyclar and some lagering, I'm certainly happy with the results!

Hmmm... I might give this a go as a partial. Ultra-small scale at first to see how it goes. If all goes to plan 75% of the fermentables will be pale LME with the remaining 25% from the mash of rice and pale malt.

I'm going to live on the edge and try and mash a 50-50 rice/malt mix. I'm thinking a 120 minute mash might give a reasonable amount of fermentable from the rice. It's all very experimental so we'll see if I can hit my target OG. And if I fail I can always make up the difference with cane sugar. :ph34r:

In the keg now, and carbed up, my first AG. Very nice!!

So, with using the rice:
- cook rice day before

[/quote
The starch is what's converted to sugar LEAVE IT IN!
Don't drain.
Yeah mate just add to mash and go as usual.
50/50 might be pushing it a bit though. 90 minute mash might do it. Although for a partial...Why bother?
Lloydie

Back