pH Meter Storage Solution

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbly

Reaction score
This morning I accidentally spilt the pH meter probe storage solution

What do people use as the storage solution medium for their pH meters and where do they purchase it.

Wobbly

Hit the grog cabinet for the Vodka. Dilute 2:1 with distilled or RO water and use that. Dispose of any leftovers thoughtfully....

Wes

I get storage solution from Grain & Grape, they just measure out the quantity I need and charge me pro-rata. It contains KCl amongst other things. Storing in distilled water, RO etc is a big no-no as it leaches out the salts from the electrode. I have heard of some storing in the calibration buffers, but I am not sure that is ideal.

The supplier of my PH meter suggested that I may use PH 4 calibration solution for storage.

Works for me.

I keep some on hand usually, it's a potassium chloride solution.

I have also used ph4 buffer in a pinch. Just don't use it as your calibration standard afterwards

Kono said:
I keep some on hand usually, it's a potassium chloride solution.

I have also used ph4 buffer in a pinch. Just don't use it as your calibration standard afterwards
Yes, tip the storage solution away and then rinse the probe under tap water and then recalibrate with appropriate solutions....I use PH 4 and PH 7 to calibrate for mash PH.

How do you store it to limit evaporation. Im currently using a narrow glass, but often forget to refill the buffer and have killed two meters through evaporation.

takai said:
How do you store it to limit evaporation. Im currently using a narrow glass, but often forget to refill the buffer and have killed two meters through evaporation.
My meter (EZ-DO) comes with a "screw on" probe storage chamber designed to be filled/contain the storage solution so just add solution to the chamber and screw into place

Wobbly

Latest posts

Back