Oatmeal Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elderfi

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I recently tried an oatmeal stout from the Illawarra Brewing Company. It was really good! Id love to replicate something similar. Is there a recipe out there which is more in line with the kits/extracts brewing procedures?

Thanks

No Oatmeal stouts in kit form at this stage. Perhaps worthwhile investigating Fresh Wort Kits or else step out of the can of comfort and do a partial mash, minimal gear required bit of fun and if you can make a salad sandwich without burning the house down you can do a partial mash. Just a little reading to do and you'll be right.

Martin

There is an oat which can simply be steeped like most spec malts.

Simpsons golden naked oats are akin to a crystal barley malt in that regard so make your favourite stout kit and steep naked.

Manticle, how many grams roughly for a 20L batch? Around 200?

See the thing is I havent made a Stout kit as of yet. Im pitting the Coopers are the way to go?

From memory, I use 500g in my AG oatmeal stout.

@elderfi - Coopers stout is a decent kit. Thomas coopers heritage is even better.

Elderfi said:
See the thing is I havent made a Stout kit as of yet. Im pitting the Coopers are the way to go?
As a base for an Oatmeal, i'd suggest go either the better Coopers Selection one (as Manticle said), the Mount Mellick one by Muntons or a Mangrove Jack's Tradition Series.

I've got a black rock miner's stout in my FV right now... Been tasting/testing as I go, and it's pretty damn yummy.

I deviated from the kit and used 1kg DDME, 50g black grain and some hop pellets as well as finishing hops right into the FV.

Latest posts

Back