No chill in urn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

azzwa

Reaction score
Hi just wondering everyone's thoughts on doing a no chill in the urn as I have not got any silicon hose yet to transfer the wort into the cube. It is my first attempt at biab and am keen to get a brew down so I don't run out of beer. My idea was to put the lid on for the last 5 mins of the boil to sterilise the head space leave over night an transfer to fv the next day. Any suggestions for this noob so I don't run out of beer would be good

Some people no chill in their kettle.

Not an idea I'm a fan of but if doing it, I would let the boil settle, then wrap the opening tightly in cling film before putting the lid on. Starsan the lid and pitch immediately the wort is cool enough.

Then buy silicon hose.

PLEASE CONSIDER THE BELOW RESPONSES AND LINK FROM BUM BEFORE TRYING THIS.

I am sure a few here chill in their kettle but IMHO.

And I did it for my first few BIAB's... I would be chilling in the FV.

It will sanitise the fv from the heat and also will cool quicker, as the urn being metal will retain a lot of heat.

Get a hose and cube, is the other option.

No need for silicone hose, just run into a cube for no chill. I have done several hundred brews, no problems.

<blowing own trumpet>
2 of them took out places in a NSW competition at the weekend
<end blowing trumpet :p :p >

No chill in urn is not a good idea because there are nooks and crannies that don't get a full boil such as the sight tube.

Bribie G said:
No need for silicone hose, just run into a cube for no chill. I have done several hundred brews, no problems.

<blowing own trumpet>
2 of them took out places in a NSW competition at the weekend
<end blowing trumpet :p :p >

No chill in urn is not a good idea because there are nooks and crannies that don't get a full boil such as the sight tube.
Thanks for the replies I have a brand new cube ready to go but was not sure bout aeration when transferring to the cube without a hose.

Preventing aeration would be best but as Bribie says, it can work and work well....

If it was me, I would put on gloves or socks on my hands, and tilt the cube and pour it like a beer from a tap, for lack of a better term. Running it down the wall and avoiding splashing as much as I can.....

2c.

xoxo.

manticle said:
Some people no chill in their kettle.

Not an idea I'm a fan of but if doing it, I would let the boil settle, then wrap the opening tightly in cling film before putting the lid on. Starsan the lid and pitch immediately the wort is cool enough.

Then buy silicon hose.
I think it was on another board but SquirtInTheTurns posted pictures of his urn collapsing from doing that with the clingwrap. Buckled right in, it did. I'm sure people have done it without that happening but given even the slightest chance there's no way in hell I'd consider it.

Could well happen, urns are thin metal as they don't need to be thick (the Lunar Landers' skins were only twice as thick as Alfoil according to the Apollo 13 Movie).

bum said:
I think it was on another board but SquirtInTheTurns posted pictures of his urn collapsing from doing that with the clingwrap. Buckled right in, it did. I'm sure people have done it without that happening but given even the slightest chance there's no way in hell I'd consider it.

Please link me to the thread if you can and I'll remove the advice as I don't want that to happen to anyone. I have done similar with 4mm alu pots and with an erlenmeyer flask. If you put the glad on straight away it (the plastic wrap) usually bursts from the steam which is why I suggest letting the boil settle a bit but I'm surprised the urn would give way before the wrap. Still as said I've done it in other vessels but never an urn. If there's even a chance of it occurring, i withdraw my recommendation.

I no-chill in my keggle. never failed me yet (touch wood). Some personally don't like it, works for others, whatever you want really. You will definitely be fine getting away with it for 1 or 2 brews why you get other stuff, As a tip if your putting glad wrap over the top, if you have a spare o-ring from your fermenter, they make a nice seal when stretched around the rim.

eddy22 said:
never failed me yet
Just curious but what would constitute failure here?

Thanks guys I think I'll be just putting it in the cube don't want to risk the shiny new urn.

Latest posts

Back