New conical fermentor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kontek

Reaction score
So after 2 years of not brewing i finally bit the bullet and bought a new setup. I have a fermenting chamber with a shiny new conical 64 litre fernentor.

The question i cant seem to answer ( have read heaps of opinions on this site) is after fermataion is complete should i dump the yeast and let it condition for another week at fermentation temperature then cold crash or should i just cold crash. Sorry if this question has been asked im just driving my self nuts reading all the forums. Ive added a photo of the setup. Im making a FWK amber ale just to refresh my brewering techniques any advise would be appreciated including how many days conditioning and cold crashing cheers.

****Regarding the photo im only testing the units heat and cool capabilities. When i have the brew going she will be sealed nice and tight and sensor in thermal well****

P.s good to be back brewing again
20160211_181106_resized.jpg

Welcome back to brewing. We missed you.

I believe that you should dump trub/yeast incrementally as it builds up, or it will compact and not be able to come out, unless you have butterfly valves of 1 1/2 inches diameter or larger.

Also, it looks like you have an unused thermowell in the front of the fermentor, but you're risking contamination by putting the temp probe through the lid???

No need to leave the beer at ferment temps if the fermentation is finished, and all diacetyl and acetaldehyde has been cleaned up. If it's already clean just crash it, or leave it on the yeast a few more days to clean up.

Hope this helps, my fellow cylindroconical fermentation vessel owner.

Les out.

is that full of beer? how do you keep it from leaking out the hole (thermowell port?) in the front? and how do you keep the nasties out with the lid cracked like that? that must be an empty fermenter.

thanks for the reply's. Haven't started yet (no brew on) the temp sensor is in the lid because i could not be bothered putting it in the well. im only testing the units heat and cool capabilities. When i have the brew going she will be sealed nice and tight

Hey les how long do you crash for. i dont mind waiting, just want it done right

mb-squared said:
is that full of beer? how do you keep it from leaking out the hole (thermowell port?) in the front? and how do you keep the nasties out with the lid cracked like that? that must be an empty fermenter.
from the Newera website -
Features:
  • Sanitary wels (sic)

Kontek. I have the same conical. This is what I do. Ferment out til it's finished. Dump yeast SLOWLY. Just a small crack of the valve and let it flow SLOWLY. Hit the chill button then dump yeast daily til none is left. There might be times in there where you use dry hops or gelatin. That's up to you. My chill process takes 3 or 4 days. Taking yeast and sludge each day while chilling gets it all in these few days. Note slowly, otherwise you'll blast a hole in your yeast cake and only get beer. If you hit chill before dumping and try to dump it all after the chill, you'll have a compact layer so tight nothing will come out even with the valve fully open.

Kontek said:
thanks for the reply's. Haven't started yet (no brew on) the temp sensor is in the lid because i could not be bothered putting it in the well. im only testing the units heat and cool capabilities. When i have the brew going she will be sealed nice and tight

Hey les how long do you crash for. i dont mind waiting, just want it done right
Most of the beer I make does not require crash cooling, but when it does, I am happy to give appropriate time to a Kölsch or a delicious Pilsener, as recommended by Jamil (the style guru) in BCS or BYO magazine, or I research via this forum, as people here know their sh!t and are happy to share, when you have a specific beer in mind.

Honest Admission: I have not used my 'Konical" yet, due to issues with accessibility due to recent flooding and recent acquisition of a fridge that will fit my 80 litre behemoth. I currently use 2 X 50 litre stainless olive oil drums and/or a SS Brewtech Brewbucket.

The next few weeks may see the new fermentor implemented.

Great advise guys awsome. I know cold crashing improves the clarity of the brew but does it do anything to flavour. When people say "conditioning" does it means letting the flavours develop? This is what im unsure about. I read a few forums that people like to leave there beer post fermitation to sit a week to "condition" and develop flavours

generally I let my beers condition in their serving container; be that bottle or keg, obviously bottling requires time to carb, but even forced carbed beer needs a week or two to be at it's best.

MB

MastersBrewery said:
generally I let my beers condition in their serving container; be that bottle or keg, obviously bottling requires time to carb, but even forced carbed beer needs a week or two to be at it's best.

MB
Is that at serving temp?

Latest posts

Back