Must Brews?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jakechan

Reaction score
Now that Im an old hand at AG brewing, with 2 under my belt :p , Im not sure what to have a go at next. There are so many recipes to try I just dont know where to start. :blink:

What would you say is a shortlist of MUST BREW recipes? (particularly from the AHB database of course)

Im open to all styles of beer, so there are no limits.

Cheers,
Jake

I should add I'm already leaning towards Dr Smurto's Golden Ale and Ross's Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale.

I am halfway to where you are! 1 AG done! ;)

My list includes:

Rasberry Wheat beer
Honey Ale
Black Ale
Dark Ales
Bitter Ales

... and maybe one day (After fermenting fridge) a Lager.

Yet to firm up any recipes, this database is a good starting place though.

i'm still a partial brewer but my musts are:

golden strong/ saison
E.S.B
Bock

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys, but I'm actually after particular recipe suggestions, not just styles.
Cheers,
Jake

<hippy brewer mode>
Not to ram my own method down anyone's throat, but you must try a simple ale of one malt, cracked coarsely leading to a floating mash. Must sparge slowly. Grain measured in a bucket (one bucket per 20 litres), not on scales. Once you have your batch in the kettle, get an estimate of your OG by taking a pre-boil reading, add 10% then bitter to .75 BU:GU with something high alpha, then add 1g/litre of your favourite hop in the whirlpool, nothing more. Ferment, carbonate and serve.
</hippy>

Easy to brew. All of my really nice drinkable pale ales have been made this way. No need to complicate things.

Easy to brew. All of my really nice drinkable pale ales have been made this way. No need to complicate things.

+1 for that

I remember (yeah I know, it wernt that long ago) jumping into all grain and devising recipes with 9 grains 6 hops and triple decoction mash schedules... :rolleyes:

Then I tasted a few single grain, single hop recipes from a few seasoned brewers. IMO, brewing and the KISS theory make really good partners....

edit; for a recommendation, I'd definitely go with the NS Summer ale if you enjoy a real quaffer on a summers day. 2 grains, 1 hop, simple single step infusion mash...too easy. For a really nice twist to it, instead of using WY1056 or US-05, do it as a cool ferment with S-33 or the Swiss lager yeast. Gives it a really fruity character and brings the sauvin flavours right out.

<hippy brewer mode>
Not to ram my own method down anyone's throat, but you must try a simple ale of one malt, cracked coarsely leading to a floating mash. Must sparge slowly. Grain measured in a bucket (one bucket per 20 litres), not on scales. Once you have your batch in the kettle, get an estimate of your OG by taking a pre-boil reading, add 10% then bitter to .75 BU:GU with something high alpha, then add 1g/litre of your favourite hop in the whirlpool, nothing more. Ferment, carbonate and serve.
</hippy>

My first AG was 100% Maris Otter for that very reason :)

<hippy brewer mode>
</hippy>

that is a good idea you'd learn alot about ur ingrediants aswell

My first AG was 100% Maris Otter for that very reason :)

Ahh, but how many hop additions?

edit; for a recommendation, I'd definitely go with the NS Summer ale if you enjoy a real quaffer on a summers day. 2 grains, 1 hop, simple single step infusion mash...too easy. For a really nice twist to it, instead of using WY1056 or US-05, do it as a cool ferment with S-33 or the Swiss lager yeast. Gives it a really fruity character and brings the sauvin flavours right out.

My case swap beer is one of these. Just one malt (maybe 10% wheat, don't remember), Pac Gem to bitter and 25g of NS at flameout, whirlpooled.

If it was good and you were happy with the finished beer, it's no stuff-up :)

To counter my posts above, one of the tastiest beers I made was a Belgian Dubbel. Had a malt bill as long as your arm and about 4 hop additions. Man that was one tasty, complex brew!

If it was good and you were happy with the finished beer, it's no stuff-up :)
Well, going by that criteria then it was a stuff up :D
It still sits in a keg awaiting rescue, although it has mellowed somewhat with time.

I might do another simple MO + Crystal + 1 hop.

Cheers,
Jake

+1 for ross' nssa, have brewed it several times with minor variations & all feedback has been good.
Mark

+1 for ross' nssa, have brewed it several times with minor variations & all feedback has been good.
Mark
Thanks Mark.
Ive just been reading through the recipe again actually, looking a definite goer in the near future.

CAP!

1.050, 35 IBU

52 deg protein rest for 10 min then mash at 65 for 1 hr. 90 Min boil.

70% pilsner malt
20% Flaked maize
5% carahell
5% carapils

10IBU Saphire FWH
25 IBU cluster 45 min boil
1g/liter saphire flame out

chill fast

If no saphire, hallertau or tetnanger are fine but saphire has such a smooth soft bitterness and goes so well with the softness of the corn.

Ferment with WLP833 @ 10 deg and cc under 4 for 2 weeks.

must brew!

cheers

CAP!

1.050, 35 IBU

52 deg protein rest for 10 min then mash at 65 for 1 hr. 90 Min boil.

70% pilsner malt
20% Flaked maize
5% carahell
5% carapils

10IBU Saphire FWH
25 IBU cluster 45 min boil
1g/liter saphire flame out

chill fast

If no saphire, hallertau or tetnanger are fine but saphire has such a smooth soft bitterness and goes so well with the softness of the corn.

Ferment with WLP833 @ 10 deg and cc under 4 for 2 weeks.

must brew!

cheers

Lock it in Eddy! :D

Thanks Tony, thats on the list now! Much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jake

Latest posts

Back