Mill Motors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't found any rocks in the grain.

I would say that you will at sometime, in my last bag of BB Ale malt I found several large pieces of wood around 50mm long.

Batz

I would say that you will at sometime, in my last bag of BB Ale malt I found several large pieces of wood around 50mm long.

Batz

Small rocks yes, wood, not yet, and I mostly use BB malts. I guess I'm due a high fiber brew soon then! :lol:

Small rocks yes, wood, not yet, and I mostly use BB malts. I guess I'm due a high fiber brew soon then! :lol:

I have just bought a bag of BB Ale I'll check for the "wood content" before milling.
I have had a stone in a bag of Powells from memory a few years ago.
I thought it may have been only me!
Apologies for the slightly off topic. :icon_offtopic:

Cheers

bags of green coffee seem worse, I've heard of someone over on the coffeesnobs forum finding a watch in one! It's quite uncommon not to get at least a few rocks in each of those bags...

Batz
Don't use BB malts. And shouldn't this be on the "Rocks in Grain Survivors Support Group" thread?

A decent mill will handle small rocks....

But..., yes I can see an issue when 1/100 crushes contains 1 rock....

In some ways belt drives act as a clutch to stop the motor burning out... yes I have had my mill jam...but I run a loose belt tension

Once the mill is running, belt tension is not an issue, in fact the biggest issue is I have to give it a helping hand to get going...

Motor is a 750w AC 4 pole... has NO startup torque

I wish I had a motor that had better starting torque ;)

In some ways belt drives act as a clutch to stop the motor burning out... yes I have had my mill jam...but I run a loose belt tension

Once the mill is running, belt tension is not an issue, in fact the biggest issue is I have to give it a helping hand to get going...

I ahve similar issues with having to nudges the rollers to get the thing started, the non-powered roller just doesn't grab the grain from a standing start anymore. I was thinking of adding a small motor that spins the idle roller and then cuts out. BTW how many RPM to you run yours at?

Ahh the wonders of the millmaster. 2/2 driven rollers beats 1/3 driven B)

ahhh...the lazy roller issue

what I do is put a few grains into the mill, hand wind it so the secondr roller grips, the tip the rest in and go

Don't use BB malts. And shouldn't this be on the "Rocks in Grain Survivors Support Group" thread?

Well if we must!
Then,
When I have had a foreign body in the grain then the drive belt slipping does allow the mill to survive the jamming situation.
You need to understand that this situation may destroy a mill if it causes a lock up.
Then again it is YOUR mill.

Quote from you pbrosnan

"Actually I'm not using the Lovejoy as I need to get a key way cut in the mill shaft. The Lovejoy is so much heavy that the cheap aluminium spider I'm using that it develops torque of its own and slips despite having a grub screw tightened down."

end Quote

I also note that you have had slippage in the drive due to a grub screw that is not locating correctly on the shaft, well maybe,
YOU may need to be posting in the " Rocks in Grain Survivors Support Group"

Motiondynamics in the original post is trying to help all members on this forum and wether or not you have a system that works well, He was asking about the overall requirements as to the motorising of a grain mill.

To be able to assess ALL requirement he needs to have ALL the facts.
As Batz said in similar words "it does happen"

Motiondynamics has mentioned the possibility of a clutch on the drive to overcome this problem and while there is a lot of direct coupled motor/mill set ups the forum the members would benefit a lot more if you kept comments to constructive details.
Obviously a belt drive is just one of the options.

PYHI :mellow:

Cheers

Well if we must!
Then,
When I have had a foreign body in the grain then the drive belt slipping does allow the mill to survive the jamming situation.
You need to understand that this situation may destroy a mill if it causes a lock up.
Then again it is YOUR mill.

Quote from you pbrosnan

"Actually I'm not using the Lovejoy as I need to get a key way cut in the mill shaft. The Lovejoy is so much heavy that the cheap aluminium spider I'm using that it develops torque of its own and slips despite having a grub screw tightened down."

end Quote

I also note that you have had slippage in the drive due to a grub screw that is not locating correctly on the shaft, well maybe,
YOU may need to be posting in the " Rocks in Grain Survivors Support Group"

Motiondynamics in the original post is trying to help all members on this forum and wether or not you have a system that works well, He was asking about the overall requirements as to the motorising of a grain mill.

To be able to assess ALL requirement he needs to have ALL the facts.
As Batz said in similar words "it does happen"

Motiondynamics has mentioned the possibility of a clutch on the drive to overcome this problem and while there is a lot of direct coupled motor/mill set ups the forum the members would benefit a lot more if you kept comments to constructive details.
Obviously a belt drive is just one of the options.

PYHI :mellow:

Cheers

Sorry, you're not making much sense. The slippage has nothing to do with rock (grain is apparently not the only place w find these). Anyway I think you'll find most of my comments have been on the subject at hand, i.e mills and how they are motorised. I'd like to hear about the package that the OP comes up with, there's loads of other threads about where you can discuss your mill related tribulations. FYATHYRIO.

Tell me you HAVE got a capacitor on your motor haven't you ????

Hi Guys,

The rig I was thinking about wouldn't have been affected by rocks in the mix because the clutch would slip causing the mill to stop.
In an ideal world I could have put together a decent setup for a really good price, but being realistic, its not going to happen without a decent quantity because everything I've tried to source costs way too much in low volume.

But, for those of you that want a guaranteed bulletproof variable direct drive (but cheap) DC 12V setup that will offer speeds between 50 RPM and 300 RPM for your mill heres what to do :

Windscreen wiper motor from a wrecker or eBay (you need a FAST one). These things put out loads of torque at 12-16v with about 100- 300 RPM. You can use a cheap eBay speed controller (12V/24V PWM) to get the speed from 50 RPM through to 300 RPM which would give you perfect milling speeds for the different types of grain and plenty of torque to crush. Note, you will need something that does your minimum required speed so the faster the better!

The clutched coupler, these are adjustable, but probably not cheap here though if you were not worried about rocks just get a rigid coupler from jaycar for $16 bux. And you can source the 12V power supply off eBay. You would probably get out of this for around $70-$120 AUD for the lot (depending on the if you chose a clutched coupler or fixed and the wrecker for the wiper motor).

For AC there's really no cheap solution for direct drive. All too expensive guys!

I'm here to answer any questions or help with anything needed!

Oh and FYATHYRIO, politely says "FORGET YOU AND THE HORSE YOU RODE IN ON", but in the general meaning the F doesn't stand for "Forget", though 'll give you a hint... It starts with F and rhymes with Duck.

Windscreen wiper motor from a wrecker or eBay (you need a FAST one). These things put out loads of torque at 12-16v with about 100- 300 RPM. You can use a cheap eBay speed controller (12V/24V PWM) to get the speed from 50 RPM through to 300 RPM which would give you perfect milling speeds for the different types of grain and plenty of torque to crush. Note, you will need something that does your minimum required speed so the faster the better!

My XD Falcon wiper motor setup did not have the torque to drive a Crankandstein three roller mill. Handled my two roller mill with difficulty but it always got extremely hot to the point of smelling the magic smoke.

When I conditioned the grain, it had no hope, even on the two roller mill.

Hence the upgrade to an AC powered ex-paper shredder motor and gearbox.

My XD Falcon wiper motor setup did not have the torque to drive a Crankandstein three roller mill. Handled my two roller mill with difficulty but it always got extremely hot to the point of smelling the magic smoke.

When I conditioned the grain, it had no hope, even on the two roller mill.

Hence the upgrade to an AC powered ex-paper shredder motor and gearbox.

Actually a Truck wiper was the proper solution. It has much more torque. But I think people here wanted super cheap so I changed it to car wiper.

hooo ya

tim_toolman_taylor.jpg

Latest posts

Back