LME instead of Can of Goop

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axematt

Reaction score
Gday All.

Reasonably new to brewing (about 15 brews now, Extract) and I was thinking of refining the extract craft a little more. My next brew I was thinking of using 2 x 1.5kg cans of Pale liquid malt and adding my own bittering hops, adding a some DME to bring the gravity up and steeping grains for colour and all that jazz, then dry hopping as usual.
I am assuming that this will give me a slightly better result as I am controlling the bittering and it should taste, I don't know.. fresher?
Just looking to see if I am on the right track or not.
I did a profile like this on Beersmith and it seemed to tick all the boxes. Anyone else use this method?

Cheers

Yep done it, it works fine, but why not move away from the cans and go straight to DME and steeping. Much better product in my opinion

Alex

Gday Alex. Do you mean using a couple of kilos of DME in stead of goop? I assume you would need a fair bit of DME.

Liquid malt, dry malt, same thing just one has 20% water.
Yes, what you are thinking is, for me, a quantum leap from kits.
You may find you will have to substitute some liq/dry malt for dextrose if you want a finishing gravity less than 1.014 or so. Not so bad if you are making an ipa or something bitter where you can balance it out with bitterness, but too malty sweet for a lower hopped beer.

Cool, thanks.

This was my idea:
2 x 1.5g liquid pale malt extract
600g of DME
150 of dex
Steep about 250g caramalt
Boil 25g of simcoe 30 min
Boil 25g of cascade 10
I was going to add half a can of the LME and 5ltres of water with the steeped grain juice while doing the hop boil.

Thoughts? Absolutely open to criticism!

I also think your recipe is fine although I do not agree that DME is "better" than LME.
That's something you can discover for yourself.
But 5 litres of boiled water? That's quite likely going to raise your wort temp (assuming a 23 litre brew) to a level beyond what you should pitch yeast at.
Suggest 3 litres & use chilled water to bring to 23 litres.

Thanks for the thumbs up on the recipe peterlonz, atleast I know I’m heading in the right direction. Yeah, might drop the amount of boil liquid. I usually put 12 litres of water in the fridge the night before but as I’m new to the hops boil thing I will follow your advice. I figured LME and fresh (well pellets anyway) hops would surely be better than an can of pre hopped goop. But just is just my theory.

Latest posts

Back