Lagering and conditioning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beamer

Reaction score
Gday all,

I now have a fridge in which I can do some lagering and cold conditioning in.

I'm not sure if I have interpreted the correct method though.

The beers in the fridge will be crash chilled, kegged and uncarbonated.

Is this the correct method or is best to have the beer carbed??

Any advice greatly appreciated,

Cheers,
Beamer

Lagering: Conditioning the beer on the yeast at low temperatures (0-4 degC) for extended periods of time.

Cold conditioning: Conditioning the beer OFF the yeast (strictly speaking) at low temperatures for a shorter period of time. Note that home brewers usually don't bother racking off the yeast and instead rely on the flocculation of the yeast at the low temperatures to achieve the same effect.

Carbonation is unrelated to the above.

My regime would go something like this:

Ferment (1 week/18 degC)
Cold crash (1 week/ 2 degC)
Keg and carbonate

If you're kegging then you'd presumably already have a CO2 cylinder, so simply force carbonate in the keg.

All the breweries that I visited in the Czech Republic lager their beers under pressure and carbonated to a level where it can be served directly from the lagering tanks.

Thanks Klangers and peteru,

That's what I had in my head (sorta) just kegged a german ale, placed on gas for two weeks at serving psi, kegging a kolsch as we speak will lager for three weeks and see the difference.

klangers said:
Lagering: Conditioning the beer on the yeast at low temperatures (0-4 degC) for extended periods of time.

Cold conditioning: Conditioning the beer OFF the yeast (strictly speaking) at low temperatures for a shorter period of time. Note that home brewers usually don't bother racking off the yeast and instead rely on the flocculation of the yeast at the low temperatures to achieve the same effect.

Carbonation is unrelated to the above.

My regime would go something like this:

Ferment (1 week/18 degC)
Cold crash (1 week/ 2 degC)
Keg and carbonate

If you're kegging then you'd presumably already have a CO2 cylinder, so simply force carbonate in the keg.
Assuming we are talking about the lager style of beer, why are you fermenting at 18 degrees?

Yeah probably should have said that's my ale regime.

Lagering is 8 degrees and 2-6 weeks in primary, depending on style and progress of ferment.

Latest posts

Back