Infection Photo Thread

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you leave the tea towel on, you could have a Schrodinger's infection - where the beer is both infected and not infected at the same time! (Just don't peek).

if it's an Acetobacter infection you might be able to save most of the beer underneith, from most reports it can take quite a while for Aceto to ruin the rest of the beer. It thrives on o2 or Co2 (cant remember) and because there's not much of either left in your brew it's effects will/can take some time to become noticeable to the point of undrinkability. I say bottle/keg and drink it ASAP, just be very careful with the transfer and leave a good few liters in the fermenter so nothing from the top transfers. I've had films on top of brews before, ones that are very hard to determin wether it's aceto or just hop oils, but I'm sure at one stage in my 260 brews I've had one, never tasted it though

Problem solved with a tea-towel.

Infection
No Infection
Infection
No Infection
Infection
No Infection
Infection
No Infection

Made me think of a youtube clip I saw the other day. Lost Youtube at work sadly, so enter "Hilarious British Animal Voiceovers".
"Nighttime, Daytime! Nighttime, Daytime!"

If you leave the tea towel on, you could have a Schrodinger's infection - where the beer is both infected and not infected at the same time! (Just don't peek).

So glad wrap locking still involves the paradoxical kitten ? Homebrewing seems to get more complicated by the day :lol:

Back on-topic. I know many people would keep a surface-infected beer to see how it pans out in the bottle or keg. But personally, any sign of something wrong, and there's no hesitation to tip it. It's $30 down the drain, but if it only happens once in a blue moon then youre still way ahead. Besides, stuffed if I want to spend unenjoyable time bottling a 'maybe' beer.

Fortunately I have only had three infections in my brewing time, two in the fermenter and one in the cube. Now that I have said that after just pitching onto two batches an hour ago, I shouldnt be so cocky !

Hi guys, relatively new to brewing and am currently having a crack at neils centarillo ale. Today was my first time racking to secondary; about 4 hours later I noticed these spots.they don't look mouldy per se, they look like spit? Beer still tastes and smells beaut hopefully I'm just
Code:
jumping the gun.any feedback would be greatly appreciated! Sorry my android phone won't let me upload?

Should be fine an infection will show up after 24-48 hours. Did you rack while it was still fermenting what was the hydrometer reading.?

Need to post a picture really but a few bubbles are not really indicative of an infection.

Should be fine an infection will show up after 24-48 hours. Did you rack while it was still fermenting what was the hydrometer reading.?
Need to post a picture really but a few bubbles are not really indicative of an infection.
Thanks mate it had finished fermenting, had two readings of 1009 over 24 hours. Think (hope) I am getting a bit paranoid. Pictures I've seen on google of infections look nothing like this, heres hoping. Thanks mate

I wish i never read this thread! haha Every white bubble in my brew i keep fearing infection now hahah

My suggestion is to stop looking at your fermenting beer. If you sanitise everything correctly the only way microbes are getting in, is by you opening the seal and having a look. Just let it do it's thing, take a SG reading at the end and drink the beer. There is too much expecting farther sindrome going around :lol:

Gday Raven (& QB if you're reading this),

Below are two photos of a few more bottles of the "English Ale" of mine
I subjected you guys to at the swap yesterday :blink: showing some of the
floaties in longnecks I told you about. I think the floaty bits are actually
white but the bottle & torch make them look yellow/orange.

Anyways, floaties in other bottles of this seem to disappear after spending
some time in the fridge and while the beer is a bit unusual as you found, it
doesn't taste off. I'm hoping it's just the Wyeast 1469 PC West Yorkshire
Ale which seem to be a real monster muncher and goes nuts.

Any thoughts? Anyone else seen this before?

T.

The photo on the right looks ok to me mate. The one on the left, hard to tell what we are looking at, however those specs dont exactly look like yeast...

My suggestion is to stop looking at your fermenting beer. If you sanitise everything correctly the only way microbes are getting in, is by you opening the seal and having a look. Just let it do it's thing, take a SG reading at the end and drink the beer. There is too much expecting farther sindrome going around :lol:
Totally. Stop looking in the bloody top.

yep or use cling wrap you can see threw it no need to disturb anything. I have never had a infection and god knows how many brews I have done lol

ok people just opened one of my fermentor and saw this
31032011107.jpg

mind you this is a funky beer

wild yeast and sweet mead in my dark braggot thats been on cherries now for 4 months. tastes brilliant.

it was a nice one then i had to move it so buggered it. might bring a bottle to one of the case swaps and watch fatz run in fear.

wild yeast and sweet mead in my dark braggot thats been on cherries now for 4 months. tastes brilliant.

Just goes to show, don't tip it till you have tried it! Looks... erm... delightful barls. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back