How Critical

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pale Mr Red

Reaction score
Howdy all brewers :beerbang:
As a novice brewer attempting my 5th brew, I was wanting to ask a question about primary temp.
Have just got myself a brewcraft Grolsh equivalent kit with all the ingredients, including saflager-23 yeast, which specifies ferment temp of 9-15 deg C. I am in Queensland and the room I will be brewing in has a temp range of approx 17-22 deg C. Question is, will this temp effect the brew and if so what measures could I take to get the temp down?

I did a brew with saflager a while back at temps of 22c and it turned out so fruity i had to tip it, but before i did a mate from work tasted it and liked it, so he got all 5 cases of it and loved it! Mind you, he is a fijian and his favourite sandwich consists of avocado, vegemite and sardines :wacko:

Hi PMR,

Appretice Brewer is spot on. If you brew too hot you are going to produce lots of fruity esters, which are not really what you wnat if your trying to do grolsh.

I suggest you search some of the posts here for keeping temperatures down during fermentation.

My suggestion is some milk bottles with water forozen, a wet towel and the laundry sink. Put about 25cm of water in the sink, put the fermenter in and drap with a wet towel so that it touches the water. This will wick the water and stay wet. IF things are still too warm after doing this add the frozen milk bottles to the water. I usually have a couple that I rotate in and out of the freezer.

Hope this helps.

Flocuatlor
Tim

Howdy all brewers :beerbang:
As a novice brewer attempting my 5th brew, I was wanting to ask a question about primary temp.
Have just got myself a brewcraft Grolsh equivalent kit with all the ingredients, including saflager-23 yeast, which specifies ferment temp of 9-15 deg C. I am in Queensland and the room I will be brewing in has a temp range of approx 17-22 deg C. Question is, will this temp effect the brew and if so what measures could I take to get the temp down?

As said previously it's going to be far too fruity for the style. Get yourself a fermenting fridge if you have the room for one. Otherwise in the short term, use a neutral ale yeast - Nottingham yeast would work great for that beer.

cheers Ross

Avocado, vegemite and sardines eh!, What a great combo :lol:
Hope i dont have to move to melbourne to brew this thing. :(

Yeah, it'll ferment a lot quicker than it should, and it will be fruity; which I would assume you wouldn't want for a malty Grolsch.

You could put it in a cold water or iced cold water bath during fermentation. Would be time consuming but VERY much worth it to get the yeast working properly.

Thaks (Ross Tim Adamt & AB) for the replies, Great info.
Ice water & towl bath sounds like a good thing and Ross "Nottingham yeast", is this available in Logan city/Bris somwhere? :chug:

Thaks (Ross Tim Adamt & AB) for the replies, Great info.
Ice water & towl bath sounds like a good thing and Ross "Nottingham yeast", is this available in Logan city/Bris somwhere? :chug:

LOL - Available mail order from CraftBrewer, which happens to be in Carbrook, just round the corner.

cheers Ross

Fantastic Ross just checked out your site and signed up!
I didnt realise you were the owner.

i will order that Nottingham yeast,
is pay pal like an online credit card payment facillity?
and what kind of shipping time is there?
:beer:

yes, paypal is a simple way for paying by CC online.

Postage options are all in the cart - if ordered before midday, mailed same day - so you can have delivery tuesday, no problem. Otherwise your more than welcome to collect.

cheers Ross

Hope i dont have to move to melbourne to brew this thing. :(

Hey Mr Red,

Winter, Melbourne/Adelaide/Southern Perth would be perfect for this type of beer.

Forget no-chill north of those locations. Oops I wasn't supposed to bring that up again.

cheers

Darren

yes, paypal is a simple way for paying by CC online.

Postage options are all in the cart - if ordered before midday, mailed same day - so you can have delivery tuesday, no problem. Otherwise your more than welcome to collect.

cheers Ross

Given Ross's legendary hospitality record, I would advise picking the yeast up!! :ph34r:

Ahh Ross, dont no what I just did, looks like the order went thru as direct deposit. I have printed the Order & Account detail , will go to the bank monday arvo to pay and email Deposit confirmation Mon Night.
Would have prefered to CC or pick up, "bloody computers" :angry:

tell me, the Nottingham yeast comes as 2 x 24 gr packs, are they both used for the one 21 - 23 Litre brew?

Ahh Ross, dont no what I just did, looks like the order went thru as direct deposit. I have printed the Order & Account detail , will go to the bank monday arvo to pay and email Deposit confirmation Mon Night.
Would have prefered to CC or pick up, "bloody computers" :angry:

tell me, the Nottingham yeast comes as 2 x 24 gr packs, are they both used for the one 21 - 23 Litre brew?

1gm per litrre is the recommended pitching rate - so 1 satchet per 23l batch.

cheers Ross

1gm per litrre is the recommended pitching rate - so 1 satchet per 23l batch.cheers Ross
[/quote]

Oh ok great.
Just a few last Q's
does the nottingham have to be rehydrated or can I just sprinkle on?
& does it clear up well?

Thanks, Brendon :beerbang:

Rehydration is preferable with all dried yeasts for maximum viability - saying that, I only tend to when doing big beers. Sprinkling is generally fine & cuts out a further stage where there's a risk of introducing an infection if your sanitation procedures are less than perfect.
Clears up beautifully....

cheers Ross

Great news Ross, I dont realy trust myself to rehydrate just yet. I did a Morgans Queenslander (3rd Brew) where I rehydrated the kit yeast and I dont know if rehydrating was my problem but it did'nt turn out the best, had a bitter sweet taste, not much carbonation and quite cloudy, not that cloudyness bothers me but it does my freinds & family. I have just bought another 30L fermentor which I will condition in, or cold condition if I can use my dad's downstairs beer fridge. then will prime/bottle into 42 x 473ml grolsh swingtops ( 19.86L ) witch I painfully hot wash and sanitise with "morgans sanitiser" (contains: 2.95% Hyd Peroxide, silver ions, stabiliser & distilled water).

Any other pointers on doing this brew would be greatly appreciated Ross, your great advice so far has been brilliant and much appreciated :beer:

I am sure you know my childhood buddy, Boosy The Clown, from Sydney, I am pretty sure he sent you the "SUGAR MONSTER" to sample. :super:

Rehydration of Nottingham yeast should be done always,this is quite important.
Sprinkling of yeast is a very bad practice,sure you will get away with it most times but it is better not to get into this habit.

See the Danstar link HERE

Also note the temperture of the water,little different to other yeasts,treat this yeast well it's worth it.

Batz

Great news Ross, I dont realy trust myself to rehydrate just yet. I did a Morgans Queenslander (3rd Brew) where I rehydrated the kit yeast and I dont know if rehydrating was my problem but it did'nt turn out the best, had a bitter sweet taste, not much carbonation and quite cloudy, not that cloudyness bothers me but it does my freinds & family. I have just bought another 30L fermentor which I will condition in, or cold condition if I can use my dad's downstairs beer fridge. then will prime/bottle into 42 x 473ml grolsh swingtops ( 19.86L ) witch I painfully hot wash and sanitise with "morgans sanitiser" (contains: 2.95% Hyd Peroxide, silver ions, stabiliser & distilled water).

Any other pointers on doing this brew would be greatly appreciated Ross, your great advice so far has been brilliant and much appreciated :beer:

I am sure you know my childhood buddy, Boosy The Clown, from Sydney, I am pretty sure he sent you the "SUGAR MONSTER" to sample. :super:

Rehydration of any dried yeast is recommended, but it's certainly not necessary, Nottingham is no different to any other dried yeast in this respect - not rehydrating first will affect viability, but with the huge cell count in a 25gm sachet of Nottingham, you'll be fine. Danstar (the manufacturers) only recommend rehydration, as they believe it would be remiss of them to offer instructions other than to achieve maximum viability.
If you want a more detailed explanation from Danstar read here

cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back