Highest Strike Water Temperature Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

With the AG brews I've done so far, my mash temp has come out a bit low. So far I've been hitting 64 degrees but for my next batch I'd like to hit 67/68 degrees. To get a 64 degree mash I've had to use 75 degree strike water. I know that this temperature affects enzyme activity and also tannin extraction.

Just wondering what the recommended upper limit for strike water temperature is before there's a problem?

Cheers,

Chris

Sorry, I don't see this as causing a problem.

So long as you mix your grist up quickly, it will stabilise at your hopefully desired temperature well before denaturing the enzymes.
I've mashed in with 75 to 76C or higher water, and have never had a problem.

Also, you could try pre-heating your mashtun with some boiling water before mashing in. It might allow you to use a slightly lower strike water temperature.

I tend to add my strike water about 6 degrees above desired mash temp (around 8 degrees in cooler weather). I have never had any issues regarding denaturing the enzymes even though the water is approaching the low to mid 70 degree range.

Denaturing the enzymes when pouring grain into say 73 deg water to reach a mash of say 67 wont be an issue as its a relatively short period of time as the grain mass cools the water down once grain is added and mixed thoroughly with your strike water.

I have mashed milds in with strike water at 76, 77 degrees, aiming for a 70 degree mash and all things work well.

Never had any issues with tannins either to date.

Note the temp losses are dependant on your particular system, however the theory is the same.

Trust this helps!

Hi,

With the AG brews I've done so far, my mash temp has come out a bit low. So far I've been hitting 64 degrees but for my next batch I'd like to hit 67/68 degrees. To get a 64 degree mash I've had to use 75 degree strike water. I know that this temperature affects enzyme activity and also tannin extraction.

Just wondering what the recommended upper limit for strike water temperature is before there's a problem?

Cheers,

Chris

It all depends on the temp of your malt, grain amound etc. Here's a strike water calculator http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/articles_o..._StrikeTemp.htm. You should pre heat your mash tun with hot water prior to adding your strike temp otherwise alot of the heat in the strike water is lost to heating up the mash tun.

My strike water is usually from 74-78, I think the most important thing in this instance would be to stir stir stir and mix it all up asap, to avoid hot spots, which as you say will effect the way the enzymes work. Tannin extraction is more of a problem with darker grain AFAIK, and I've never had any issues with steeping at near 80c so not sure it would matter. Some brewers like to add their darker spec malts in the last half of the mash to avoid any tannin extraction, but I think this is more to do with time at that temp, not so much the temp itself. My 2c

you also have to remember that enzyme denaturing is a progressive process - it is not like flicking a switch and does take a little time to take affect. As others have said, the temp will stabilise pretty quickly to mash temps, so hotter water is not a problem.

Cheers,

Brendo

Thanks for the info!

BTW, I preheat my esky with boiling water.

Hi cpsmusic, any way you can warm your grain before you dough in? This will reduce the higher temp required for the strike water. Beersmith has a calc for it so I guess the other softwares would also. I heat my hlt the night before and leave the thermostat on 70 degrees, put the lid on the hlt and sit my plastic bucket full of grain on the hlt. The next morning the grain in the bucket is quite a bit more than room temp, every bit helps!

Back