Guinness Survey In Australia

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STEVENALI

Reaction score
Does anyone really know how Guinness is made in the brewery in Australia,I dont mean how you think its made does anyone really know for sure how they do it,I know its not the Guinness you get in Ireland and I suspect its just a matter of adding a strong wort or wert to plain aussie type beers but I am only guessing.Also how much is a pint in your home town name the pub or club,I am in Hervey bay and we can get a pint at happy hour for $6.50 it was $6.00 until yesturday
thats in Hervey Bays only Irish Bar Houlihans on the Esplanade

Dont know how much detail you want, but Guinness is produced pretty much the same way all round the world, except Ireland and Nigeria.
The base beer is brewed as a blond beer, this can vary in specification to suit local tastes, to this is added 2-4% St James Gate concentrated brewed flavour additive, basically very high strength stout, in times past this was soured by infecting with Lacto and Vinegar bacteria then pasteurised before shipping. These days probably not or not so much with the souring.
Irish Guinness is apparently a pretty conventional dry stout ~10% Roast, ~10% Flaked Barley 80% Ale Malt and Guinnesss yeast (WY 1084), should be a very easy beer to produce, just watch your water chemistry and OD on the chalk.
In Nigeria they sell a Guinness made entirely out of Sorghum no idea how well that works.
Not sure of the intent of the question, if you are trying to make a Guinness that tastes like the Irish one then there is lots of good information out there, the Michael Lewis book Stout, in the Classic Beer Styles would be a great starting point, if you wanted the local version, the nitro pour plays a big part in the way the beer tastes, making the beer flavour very homogeneous (guts it).
Mark

Dont know how much detail you want, but Guinness is produced pretty much the same way all round the world, except Ireland and Nigeria.
The base beer is brewed as a blond beer, this can vary in specification to suit local tastes, to this is added 2-4% St James Gate concentrated brewed flavour additive, basically very high strength stout, in times past this was soured by infecting with Lacto and Vinegar bacteria then pasteurised before shipping. These days probably not or not so much with the souring.
Irish Guinness is apparently a pretty conventional dry stout ~10% Roast, ~10% Flaked Barley 80% Ale Malt and Guinnesss yeast (WY 1084), should be a very easy beer to produce, just watch your water chemistry and OD on the chalk.
In Nigeria they sell a Guinness made entirely out of Sorghum no idea how well that works.
Not sure of the intent of the question, if you are trying to make a Guinness that tastes like the Irish one then there is lots of good information out there, the Michael Lewis book Stout, in the Classic Beer Styles would be a great starting point, if you wanted the local version, the nitro pour plays a big part in the way the beer tastes, making the beer flavour very homogeneous (guts it).
Mark
THANKS very much for the info I am not trying to make Guinness but I do sometimes wonder why it costs so much to get in a bar the stout I do make from coopers and whole malt extract served with 65% Nitro gas is just as good,but when I am out I often turn to Guinness but everytime I do it costs more and seems to get weeker so I thought I would ask you guys

$6.50 a pint, mate thats cheap. come over to Perth and you will find it costs around $10 for a pint in most places.

Guinness in Australia:

Draught:
Brewed at Yatala Queensland, 4.3% ABV, nitro keg.

Bottled:
A totally different Brew, a typical "foreign extra stout" brewed to 6% ABV and unique to Australia.

Canned:
Imported from Dublin, with the Widget thingo in the can.

According to Bill Yenne's "Guinness, the 250 year quest for the perfect pint", who spent weeks actually holed up at the St James Gate brewery, Guinness there is brewed from brown malt and the blackness is added separately as MHB says. However in Australia when Tooheys got the rights to Guinness, part of the deal was that it could be brewed with a bottom fermented lager yeast to suit the setup at Tooheys.
When Tooheys lost the rights and it went to CUB, apparently they also continued to use lager yeast. Screwtop was told this when he toured Yatala. So this (edit: and the use of domestic malts, presumably not brown) would account for the different flavour of our keg version compared to Dublin. I guess the cans would be the most "to style" example.

Guinness in Australia:

Draught:

Bottled:
A totally different Brew, a typical "foreign extra stout" brewed to 6% ABV and unique to Australia.

Canned:

According to Bill Yenne's "Guinness, the 250 year quest for the perfect pint", who spent weeks actually holed up at the St James Gate brewery, Guinness there is brewed from brown malt and the blackness is added separately as MHB says. However in Australia when Tooheys got the rights to Guinness, part of the deal was that it could be brewed with a bottom fermented lager yeast to suit the setup at Tooheys.
When Tooheys lost the rights and it went to CUB, apparently they also continued to use lager yeast. Screwtop was told this when he toured Yatala. So this (edit: and the use of domestic malts, presumably not brown) would account for the different flavour of our keg version compared to Dublin. I guess the cans would be the most "to style" example.

had anyone had the guisness with the yeast sediment in bottom of bottle? - apparently this was the true style before the widget?

I used to like the Australian Extra Stout but it seems to have gone downhill a bit and Coopers Extra Stout just beats it in every way anyway so there's no real point.

Guinness in Australia:

Draught:

Bottled:

Canned:

I was never a fan of dark beers and had my first taste of Guiness at the Pig & Whistle in Brisbane, wasn't too impressed. My second Guiness was in the Gravity Bar at the St James Gate brewery in Dublin and I was hooked. You're right Bribie, the closest you will get to the original is in cans but still a bit short of the mark. Perhaps they don't travel well. (Those couple of bottles of stout that you gave me were very nice too, I now enjoy stout.)

Latest posts

Back